Water drop near volume buttons on iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thefizzle657, Dec 31, 2014.

1. thefizzle657, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

thefizzle657 macrumors regular

Posted this on the help/troubleshooting board, don't know whether to post here or there. Mods feel free to delete one of the threads.

I was at work today and a drop of water fell on my new iPhone 6 (got it for Christmas) right near the volume buttons. I immediately took it out of the case and tried to wipe it off, and I think I got most if not all of it. I don't know if any actually got inside the phone.

Just to be safe I turned it off, and as soon as I got home I put it in a plastic bag with two silica gel packets to let it sit for at least a day, probably two.

How high do you guys think the chance is that there is any water damage? Is two days with the gel packets enough or overkill? I'm a little paranoid when it comes to water damage.

I have AppleCare+ on the phone but hope that I don't have to use it already, and I know that there are rubber gaskets around the volume and power buttons, but I don't know how effective those really are at keeping anything out.

Thanks!

2. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

You should not worry at all. I dropped my IP 6+ 64gb in the toilet 3 days after I bought it. It worked fine with no problems at all.

Now I have a 128gb version :)

So if you want peace of mind, just return it for another color.

3. Hoppesangen macrumors member

If you just purchased it, I would exchange it for another one to be better safe than sorry and save $79

4. thefizzle657 thread starter macrumors regular

I like the Space Gray the best, so would I need to do a double exchange (trade it in for Silver tomorrow, then go back Saturday and exchange that for another Space Gray)?

Will the fact that I bought it online through PayPal be a problem?

5. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

If exchanging thru Apple Store, it will be a straight swap without any funds involved.

6. thefizzle657 thread starter macrumors regular

Did you have to make a Genius Bar appointment or did you just walk in and ask to exchange for a different color?

7. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

One drop of water!! Has everyone gone crazy?? You want to return the phone twice for that? Relax and enjoy. The phone is not that delicate. :cool:

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Your username is perfect. You will be fine op.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What's the real issue? A single drop of water that may not have gotten in or a buyer's remorse over your color choice?

10. thefizzle657 thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely the water drop. I looked at the Silver and Gold and while they're nice I really prefer the black bezel of the Space Gray.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It's honestly impossible to say with certainty. I don't expect you will have problems. I have been in the rain with my phones and, to my knowledge, they didn't have any water damage. I personally wouldn't worry.

12. Paco II macrumors 65816

This thread is silly. OP: do you want us to tell you to return it, or that it's fine and you should keep it. Because that's what is really happening here.

13. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If you plan on doing a color swap you will need to do a straight out return/refund/exchange route instead of going through the genius bar for a replacement as they will replace like for a like.

14. bushido Suspended

bushido

Lol I know right? I use mine out in the snow or rain constantly. A drop of water lololol

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you bought it online and dont have the original receipt you will not be able to return it.
    You basically bought a used iphone from someone and who knows when it was really purchased. Its probably out of the 14 day return period even if you had the original receipt and way of payment used to purchase it.
    So no, you wont be able to return it with a paypal receipt.

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

17. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Unless I've missed something, you're assuming he bought a used iPhone? You realise that you can now pay with PayPal directly through the Apple Store?

If you purchased directly through Apple, you don't need a receipt to return the device.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh I forgot about that.
    Not 100% if he got it from Apple using PayPal or something like eBay, swappa etc...

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Does Apple not track receipts tied to the serial numbers of their products? In unsure of the answer, but it seems silly not to... Regardless, most stores can find your transactions, provided the employee is willing to do some digging, if you give them all of your payment details.

20. pdxmatts, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015

pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

You can go into Paypal and see your receipt of payment. I'm confused, if he got a replacement phone from Apple, then he can't return it and ask for a different color. But the color he wants SG is the color he has on his signature, so he has SG already. Another replacement swap would be the same color anyway. What is with the getting a silver and then exchanging for SG? Plus, what does that have to do with a water drop on the phone?

21. thefizzle657 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to everyone who responded. Just wanted to mention that my iPhone worked absolutely fine, so I decided to just keep it. I didn't feel like going through the hassle of exchanging it. If anything happens further down the road (and I highly doubt it will), I always have the AppleCare+ on it anyway.

By the way as noted above I bought the phone directly from Apple through PayPal, they accept PayPal as payment now.