Water droplet near volume buttons on iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thefizzle657, Dec 31, 2014.

1. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

I was at work today and a droplet of water fell on my new iPhone 6 (got it for Christmas) right near the volume buttons. I immediately took it out of the case and tried to wipe it off, and I think I got most if not all of it. I don't know if any actually got inside the phone.

Just to be safe I turned it off, and as soon as I got home I put it in a plastic bag with two silica gel packets to let it sit for at least a day, probably two.

How high do you guys think the chance is that there is any water damage? Is two days with the gel packets enough or overkill?

I have AppleCare+ on the phone but hope that I don't have to use it already, and I know that there are rubber gaskets around the volume and power buttons, but I don't know how effective those really are at keeping anything out.

Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you did all this for one droplet of water?
    You'll be fine.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I highly doubt that one water drop has damaged anything.

An entire glass maybe, but not one droplet.

4. J.C macrumors 6502

I regularly use my iPhone in the rain without any concern or issue. They're very much splash-proof.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op if you look at all the tear downs you'll see the 6&6+ have a rubber gasket behind the power and volume buttons to help stop ingress. You really shouldn't worry.