Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles , CA
I was having a party when someone decided to bring my macbook out to the pool, somone jumped of the diving board and it got splashed while it was on, i saw ran over and wiped it all off (there was hardly any on the key's mostly on the screen) later i noticed there was a white mark on my screen, being stupid i just turned my computer off and thought it would go away, when i turned it on about 2 hours later the water mark had gotten bigger, its been about 28 hours since the water got on the computer the battery is currently out and i have a lamp on the screen where the water is any advice?

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
You can't do anything except replace the logic board probably and that costs a lot. Whenever water gets in your laptop, you are screwed.

Also, when water gets in your laptop, turn the laptop over and shut it off immediately! And take the battery out too and let the laptop sit for at least 24-48 hours before turning it on. Since you didn't do either, I think, there's not much tou can do right now.

If I were you, I would make the person who did brought your laptop outside pay the costs.

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Just keep it of for some time. Dont put that battery in et al. Hopefully it`ll vanish in a couple of days. Also make sure you do dont overheat it either. Just leave it as it is and pray to god(even if you are an atheist. There`s no harm in trying:D)

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
There's nothing else i can do?

The most important thing to do in a situation like that is not just to turn it off but to remove the battery ASAP. It's the combination of water and voltage that kills. It sound like your battery may be toast. Yes, the advice you were given is about all you can do at this point. Leave the machine in a dry room for at least a few days to completely lose any moisture that may have gotten inside it before attempting to power up again.

If its fried I agree you're looking at a logic board replacement at the very least. It won't be cheap (nor obviously covered under Applecare). I also agree whoever had the brilliant idea of bringing the machine next to a pool is entirely liable.

ricrhys

macrumors member
May 22, 2008
not quite the same

not quite the same but i had a mac liquid disaster, it didnt get the screen but dont give up yet this is what i did http://macspill.blogspot.com/ i thought it was a goner for sure, let us know how you get on.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Sounds more like a screen issue to me. Can you describe the mark in more detail (pics would help)? Does it look like there is water under the screen covering?

if it was working other than that, maybe your logic board is OK, but you have a moisture issue in the screen...

Xan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles , CA
Okay i left it in my attic room, with a lamp on the screen, all the large splash water marks have faded (They are still visible but a lot less noticeable) now I am left with about 8 pea sized dots the same color as the large splash mark was. I'm going to leave it for another 24 hours and see if they fade similarly to the larger water mark.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
As you say most of the water splashed on the screen the logic board should be alright. The keyboard offers some degree of protection.

Mum spilt coffee on my external speakers, the sound was distorted days after I tried it. I disconnected the speakers, and months later, knowing they were ruined I thought I might as well try them again before I binned them, and they worked.

Give it time and good luck.

techial2

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
i got it!

Assuming that this is a macbook, remove the battery and any other covers on the bottom and let it dry out for several days before trying it again. If you can take it to a repair shop and explain what happened. They can open the case up to allow the water to dry out completely.
It sounds like there was still a small amount of water inside and quite possibly it is fried. There is no real quick fix other than to let it dry thoroughly or have someone open it up to speed up the drying process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.