Water got on my computer please help!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Xan, Jul 13, 2008.

  1. Xan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles , CA
    #1
    I was having a party when someone decided to bring my macbook out to the pool, somone jumped of the diving board and it got splashed while it was on, i saw ran over and wiped it all off (there was hardly any on the key's mostly on the screen) later i noticed there was a white mark on my screen, being stupid i just turned my computer off and thought it would go away, when i turned it on about 2 hours later the water mark had gotten bigger, its been about 28 hours since the water got on the computer the battery is currently out and i have a lamp on the screen where the water is any advice?
     
  2. Watabou macrumors 68040

    Watabou

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2008
    Location:
    United States
    #2
    You can't do anything except replace the logic board probably and that costs a lot. Whenever water gets in your laptop, you are screwed.

    Also, when water gets in your laptop, turn the laptop over and shut it off immediately! And take the battery out too and let the laptop sit for at least 24-48 hours before turning it on. Since you didn't do either, I think, there's not much tou can do right now.

    If I were you, I would make the person who did brought your laptop outside pay the costs.
     
  3. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

    ImNoSuperMan

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2005
    #3
    Just keep it of for some time. Dont put that battery in et al. Hopefully it`ll vanish in a couple of days. Also make sure you do dont overheat it either. Just leave it as it is and pray to god(even if you are an atheist. There`s no harm in trying:D)
     
  4. Xan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles , CA
  5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

    SaSaSushi

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Takamatsu, Japan
    #5
    The most important thing to do in a situation like that is not just to turn it off but to remove the battery ASAP. It's the combination of water and voltage that kills. It sound like your battery may be toast. Yes, the advice you were given is about all you can do at this point. Leave the machine in a dry room for at least a few days to completely lose any moisture that may have gotten inside it before attempting to power up again.

    If its fried I agree you're looking at a logic board replacement at the very least. It won't be cheap (nor obviously covered under Applecare). I also agree whoever had the brilliant idea of bringing the machine next to a pool is entirely liable.
     
  6. ricrhys macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 22, 2008
    #6
    not quite the same

    not quite the same but i had a mac liquid disaster, it didnt get the screen but dont give up yet this is what i did http://macspill.blogspot.com/ i thought it was a goner for sure, let us know how you get on.
     
  7. merl1n macrumors 65816

    merl1n

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2008
    Location:
    New Jersey, USA
    #7
    Don't forget that pool water contains chlorine. I have no idea what chlorine will do to electronics.
     
  8. aross99 macrumors 68000

    aross99

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2006
    Location:
    East Lansing, MI
    #8
    Sounds more like a screen issue to me. Can you describe the mark in more detail (pics would help)? Does it look like there is water under the screen covering?

    if it was working other than that, maybe your logic board is OK, but you have a moisture issue in the screen...
     
  9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

    jeremy.king

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    #9
    Do yourself a favor and let it be for a week or more to ensure it's completely dried out.
     
  10. Xan thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Location:
    Los Angeles , CA
    #10
    Okay i left it in my attic room, with a lamp on the screen, all the large splash water marks have faded (They are still visible but a lot less noticeable) now I am left with about 8 pea sized dots the same color as the large splash mark was. I'm going to leave it for another 24 hours and see if they fade similarly to the larger water mark.
     
  11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

    SaSaSushi

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Location:
    Takamatsu, Japan
  12. TheReef macrumors 68000

    TheReef

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location:
    NSW, Australia.
    #12
    As you say most of the water splashed on the screen the logic board should be alright. The keyboard offers some degree of protection.

    Mum spilt coffee on my external speakers, the sound was distorted days after I tried it. I disconnected the speakers, and months later, knowing they were ruined I thought I might as well try them again before I binned them, and they worked.

    Give it time and good luck.
     
  13. techial2 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2009
    #13
    i got it!

    Assuming that this is a macbook, remove the battery and any other covers on the bottom and let it dry out for several days before trying it again. If you can take it to a repair shop and explain what happened. They can open the case up to allow the water to dry out completely.
    It sounds like there was still a small amount of water inside and quite possibly it is fried. There is no real quick fix other than to let it dry thoroughly or have someone open it up to speed up the drying process.
     
  14. jamin100 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2008

Share This Page