Water Hurting Microphone / Speakers

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Tuck, May 3, 2015.

1. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

I know the Apple Watch is supposed to be "water resistant" but I would figure the most sensitive pieces in the watch would be the built-in microphone and speaker.

Have there been any reports of these pieces being damaged by water exposure? Or do we know if they're covered by some sort of water resistant piece inside the watch?

Tuck

2. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

3. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

I've rinsed my Apple Watch several times yesterday while gardening. I made a phone call on it today and could hear and be heard just fine. I enjoy making calls on the Apple Watch as long as I'm at home. I wouldn't do so in public because it is like talking on a speaker phone.

Siri still can take impressively accurate dictation for me. And I can hear audible notification tones that I set up.

The one thing I haven't done is use water with soap of any kind. THAT might leave a residue. I also dry thoroughly to avoid mineral deposits forming.

4. The Tuck thread starter macrumors 6502

The Tuck

I just found the iFixit teardown and apparently the Apple Watch includes an "O-ring" on the speaker that is supposed to help with waterproofing the speaker. Doesn't mention anything about the microphone though.

I rinsed my watch off after a workout today and then thought that that might not have been a good idea- which is what made me begin to think about this. I've done a couple of test phone calls with the watch since, and it appears to be fine.

But I'm going to be following Apple's directions for cleaning in the future. They recommend turning off the watch and using a damp cloth and lint free cloth for drying.

Tuck