water in 2nd gen. iPod Touch - plz help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by comeo325, Jul 5, 2011.

1. comeo325 macrumors newbie

Some water was spilled on my 2nd generation iPod Touch. I wiped it off, thinking that it wasn't very serious. But unfortunately it was too late, as some of the water had already leaked into my iPod and under the layer of glass screen. In fact, I could see a puddle of water underneath the screen glass drowning the images out. The screen is now completely taken up by water puddles. The iPod’s lock button is now non-responsive, so the only thing I can use is the home screen button. How can I get my iPod back to normal? Leave it so the water dries? Please help me, this is urgent!!!!:(:(:(

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

This is a topic which seems to come up every so often on the forums. I confess that I am endlessly astonished at how many MR denizens manage to spill coffee/tea/coca-cola/water/oil/and sundry other soft drinks - and alcohol occasionally - on their iPods and other devices.........liquids and iPods do not really mix.

The standard advice I can offer is as follows:

1: DO NOT turn it on however tempting that may be, or however impatient you may feel. If you turn it on while water is still lodged anywhere sensitive - such as deep in the sensitive workings - you run the risk of frying the interior. So, DO NOT turn it on means DO NOT turn it on AT ALL for at least two-three days.

2: Try to dry it out. That means perhaps, a using a hair-dryer (yes, some on this forum have successfully reported using one on an iPod), or, leaving it in an/the airing cupboard for a few days, or, better still, putting the iPod into a bowl of (uncooked) rice and leaving it there to dry for several days. Rice absorbs water and other liquids.

Hope this is of some assistance. Good luck with the attempted rescue.

Cheers