Water in a BT keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BiikeMike, Apr 23, 2008.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Wirelessly posted (Treo: Opera/9.50 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.0.9800/298; U; en))

I've been on the road for four days, and my wife is at home working on her final papers for Grad school. When I'm not there, she uses my mac pro.

She called me yesterday night and said the computer was scaring her. When she went to save her paper, she'd click on file, and the highlight would move rapidly and make a funny noise. I asked her if any of her school books were on the arrow keys and she said no. I told her to flip the keyboard over and turn it off, and when she did, she said water came out.

Apparently "the cat" spilled her water cup into the keyboard. I told her to take the batteries out, and leave it upside down to dry out. That was about 24 hours ago. What should I do? Tell her to keep it like that longer? Put the batts back in and see what happens?

Its one of the old white plastic BT keyboards. Whaddya think?

2. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I would leave it sit for at least a week drying before testing it out. Hopefully you have an old keyboard you can use in the meantime.

3. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Well, without asking me, she used her "best judgment" and replaced the batteries and says it works.

And she says I shouldn't be mad at her.....

I guess we'll see what its like when I finally get home tonight around 11

4. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

just happened to me with a wired acrylic keyboard. i didnt spill water or anything in it, i was actually using some of that iKlear (which works pretty well to cleanthe mightymouse trackball and most of the time the keyboard.)

at any rate i put the keys back in and when i let it dry for a while i plugged it into my macpro and it put it to sleep after pressing some keys when typing,,,not sure why but it was odd and peculiar .

hopefully it didnt short anything at all.

but looks like im going to invest in the new aluminum keys smalelr profile, less grime to make its way through.

just thought id share my story

goodlcuk hopefully it still works!