Water indicator question.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Phazing, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Phazing macrumors newbie

I was away on vacation recently, and through a series of incredibly unfortunate events, fell into a lake with my iPhone 4 in my pocket. I jumped out straight away, was in the water for around 5 seconds max I think. I was just looking through questions about water damage, and heard someone say that a genius bar member said an iPhone needs to be in water for 90 seconds for the indicators to go off, internal or otherwise. The bottom outside indicator seems fairly red, but the top one is only slightly pink, my question is what are the chances of the internal indicators being clean? And lastly, if the indicators are gone and my warranty is void, what's the replacement cost for the 32g model? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is my first time dealing with Apple.

2. wpotere Guest

Where are you at? If in the USA, it will cost you $199 to replace. The warranty on that phone is void as they don't cover liquid damage and it was your fault that it was damaged (even if an accident). The indicators activate right away and with two of them tripped (even one) they won't cover it.

My advice, go to the store and be honest with them. They will be more likely to help you if they don't think you are BSing them...

3. Phazing thread starter macrumors newbie

Australian, and I think I will go for the honest approach. I just wanted to know the odds, I never intended to lie to them because at the end of the day it was my fault, and if I have to pay to replace it then I will. Hopefully someone from down under can give me a replacement quote.

4. wpotere Guest

Yeah, I am not sure what the policy is over there, but here in the USA they do a water damage replacement. So, you might be able to get a new one for a reduced price. Good luck! :)

5. Phazing thread starter macrumors newbie

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Someone else posted a similar experience in the US 2 or so days ago. The Genius at Apple was nice enough to replace it for free for that person. Try your luck - be honest.

7. Phazing thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have high hopes of a free replacement, but there's always a little bit of hope. If I ask them to check the internal sensors, will they?

8. Boereman macrumors member

Boereman

Is the iPhone completely dead or do you get any sign of a boot logo?

9. Phazing thread starter macrumors newbie

I get the boot up, then it goes to a "connect to iTunes" screen. It also won't charge, irregardless of what I try and charge it through, so I can only get said screen when it's on charge, which supplies power but leaves it on zero percent. It won't gain power from a computer.