Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
thanks!!

now i have another question. now that the warranty is now void and hopes of getting a new ipod is out...do you think it wise that i have my speakers repaired by internet sites claiming to be able to fix ipods.

http://www.ipodjuice.com/ipod-touch-battery-replacement-products.htm

Do you know of a legit site that does just that?

Looks like it will cost you about $20 to find out if it's repairable.

Water damage is kind of a crap shoot. Sometimes it doesn't damage at all, sometimes it damages one simple component, sometimes multiple components or the entire device is destroyed. IMHO, the latter circumstance is more common. It's one of those deals where you might be wasting $20, or you might end up saving far more if it can indeed be fixed.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

minimammut

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
What does it look like?

It is located approx 12mm inside the Touch at the base of the earphone socket. It is a thin strip of cellulose coated absorbent paper with a line of pink dye running along the bottom edge. If the cellulose coating becomes wet enough to disolve the paper will absorb the moisture and the pink dye will spread through the strip.

waterindicatorfu3.jpg
Hi, my moisture indicator looks exactly like the one above. I thought it was triggered because on the apple support page it says that half of it becomes pink when wet.
But your posting reads like the ipod in the image could still be eligible to warranty?
Please clarify!
Thanks in advance,
minimammut

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
So we have a new iPod nano...purchased May 2008...stops working...Genius says the water indicator (at bottom of head phone jack) has turned orange so we are not under warranty. The problem is: the device was never dropped or submerged in water. Maybe, just maybe, our one year old drooled on it, but that is not even clear. Even so, how can we not be eligible under the warranty? Has anyone else dealt with this and/or tried to fight Apple on this issue? We plan to contest this, just not sure how to do that yet.

A genius told me "butt-sweat" is enough to set it off in some cases... my 3rd gen 32GB iPod Touch is now an Applecare-less hockey puck, apparently due to gym usage and butt sweat. I am TSOL, but my Touch's indicator isn't nearly as red as the one in that photo. I can't even see it at all in there actually.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
A genius told me "butt-sweat" is enough to set it off in some cases... my 3rd gen 32GB iPod Touch is now an Applecare-less hockey puck, apparently due to gym usage and butt sweat. I am TSOL, but my Touch's indicator isn't nearly as red as the one in that photo. I can't even see it at all in there actually.

Hmmm...sounds like you need to find an alternate place to store your iPod while you're carrying it.

polar1212

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
Ipod Touch repair Apple says water damage

I've read everyone's post and it looks like we are in the same boat! How do we as a group deal with this?
It is crazy of Apple to say water damage when they take it in the back room and then come out a second later and say water damage!
How do I know what that service person did?
This sounds like Apple's products are just not as good as they use to be and they are trying to cover their assets!!! If you know what I mean!
Does anyone know how to start a class action lawsuit?
It seems like that would be a way to get apple to listen!!!
Thanks for listening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.