Water indicators triggered

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kayl0rz, Nov 2, 2010.

1. kayl0rz macrumors member

Well, turns out my boyfriend is an idiot. after a hard night partying on saturday night his Iphone4 (a refurb replacement a few weeks ago as his original from launch broke) ended up in a bucket of his own sick over night...

He says it wasnt fully submerged but the moisture indicator in the headphone jack has triggered. we've been drying it but its still not doing anything. He plugged it in to charge and it just heated up.

I've been doing a little research and the BBC spoke to apple about these triggers, and in their statement they say ALL the indicators have to have triggered to void the warrenty.

Im gonna guess that seeing as it was plopped in about 1cm of bile over night the internal triggers will have gone red too... but the charger trigger hasnt.

We;ve got a genius appointment for saturday but im just wondering how we should approach this? i know effing and jeffing isnt the way to go, and i dont really wanna go in and be like ... 'i dunno whats wrong...'

but in apples own words ALL have to be triggered... atm we see 1 of 4. so technically they should still replace it....

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think it's best to be truthful, even if it's a little embarrassing. Hopefully the Apple folks will be forgiving and help you out.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Regardless of whether all are triggered or not, per your own words, your boyfriend is an idiot. And as such, he should have to pay the replacement cost. Waranties are designed to cover manufacturer defect, not user defect. Why should the price of iPhones the world over be higher to subsidize stupidity on the part of the end user?

4. kayl0rz thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, i dont wanna go in and lie to them and be like... 'well we dunno what happened, it just stopped working'

but then if we tell the truth they'll say... well the indicator has triggered, its water damage.

I dont have an iphone myself, i was waiting on white but Jobs pushed me to the BB torch! But im a bit of an apple geek so ive read all the stuff about apple giving people a hard time over water damage, mostly when its not even damaged.

What are the chances they'll accept only one trigger has gone knowing its been in sick... and just replace it? clutching at straws perhaps?

5. kayl0rz thread starter macrumors member

Accidental damage isnt covered but i know people that have had phones replaced after dropping them.

Im not saying hes not an idiot, but in apples own words ALL the indicators have to be triggered... and they havent so how do we know its not just a fault? it was a replacement refurb anyway... could have been a duff

6. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

I don't think Apple should be held responsible for what a drunken idiot did to his device.

Should a drunk driver ask Toyota to replace his car after he crashes it into a tree?

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I think you're misunderstanding what they are saying. What they mean with the indicators is that if they are all triggered then your warranty is definitely over (even if the phone appears to work correctly).

If the phone is damaged because it spent the night in a bucket of puke then it doesn't matter how many (even none) of the sensors are triggered; it's user damage and not covered by the warranty

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Does the phone not reek of vomit? Do you honestly think anyone is going to not notice that?

9. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I had a similar issue recently, but with the dock connector being triggered. I'd take a link to that BBC article just in case but don't go in with all guns blazing. I went to the store and told them I honestly didn't know what had happened - I guess in your case seeing as there was definite damage I'd be honest... but I'd probably say it was water, not bile as that would probably put them off.

Its important to note that when the BBC spoke to Apple, Apple said this was for the timebeing - they might have changed the policy. I don't think they have but you should try to clarify it just in case.

But yeah, be polite and as honest as possible - I was really surprised how easily they changed my phone.

10. kayl0rz thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, we're gonna be honest and say about the sick. but then say however apple did say..... and mention all the triggers.

bfs mate said he would go take it for him and shout at the genius guy. this is because he knocked another friends phone out of his hand and killed it basically, so he took it to apple and they refused to replace it... so he decided to start effin and jeffin and eventually they replaced the phone. personally i think hes a bit of a d*ck and told him we didnt need his help

11. synagence macrumors 6502a

All you can do it take it in, be honest and polite and explain the truth ... you *might* get a nice person but be under no illusion that Apple has no obligation to replace and be prepared to cough up £199 for an replacement if they do it as an out-of-warranty replacement.

But go in there with an attitude of expecting it to be done free is gonna get you nowhere... you can just try and be humble

12. st1ngo macrumors member

Your B/F is an idiot pisshead that cant hold his drink
    Just why should apple cover the cost for him ?
    If he can afford to get that drunk he can afford a new phone
    Oh ..... and get a new B/F
    The one you have is a prick

13. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

you can also get a toothpick and get a dab of bleach on the tip of it and put a dab of bleach on the effected trigger marker and it will turn it white again. :) but that would be wrong and i would have to advise against such acts.

14. JCCL macrumors 6502a

:eek:
    If you advise against such acts then why are you posting this in the first place. Be coherent.

15. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

i hope they dont replace it.

i dont think they'd even wanna touch that iphone knowing where its been let alone replacing it.

16. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

17. anonymouz1828 macrumors regular

Truth

Your bf is an idiot. Everyone probably agrees. Just tell the truth .. they can replace without charge or they can charge for new phone ($200-$300). Apple will replace fault device for free but the heat up is not apple fault .. they decide what they want to do.