Water inside RETINA screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by srinathappleusr, Dec 17, 2014.

1. srinathappleusr macrumors newbie

I got drenched in some heavy downpour. My macbook pro was in my backpack in POWER OFF state. When I opened my backpack I could see that my Macbook had become wet.

After letting it dry for 5 days, it booted up fine. But my display looks like this (see pics below).

There is no flicker or anything but it has a stained layer behind/in the screen. Can this be taken apart and cleaned and put back or does the screen have to be replaced? Is there any liquid between the backlight and the retina panel? Also not able to figure what that diagonal line is. Definitely not a crack, as I haven't dropped it. Need some insight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

3. blooperz macrumors 6502

yea unfortunately there is no way to open these panels to do a cleanup like that

4. srinathappleusr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the views. It's shame though. Apple doesn't give you a chance does it.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

No, they give you

just about the best, most powerful thin light laptop, part of that is soldered RAM, blade PCie SSDs and fused LCD assemblys, this fusion gives a fantastic screen that looks painted on and allows an even thinner laptop at the expense of repairability. Unfortunately for you, we have all bought these new thin laptops because that is what we want, we have sacrificed repairability and upgradeability for it.

6. blooperz macrumors 6502

yup....but really it's happening to everything these days, just a sign of the times. It's getting to the point where you can't even do an oil change on your own car because of all the fancy new sensors.

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Wow, how does water get into a fused together rMBP display at all, let alone that much of it.

You will need to replace the entire display assembly.

Yes, I knew what I wanted when I opted for the retina back in August 2012. It was definitely the right decision to make by modern standards (now that all non-retinas have been completely ignored or discontinued), although someday the soldered 8 GB RAM may become a problem.

8. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

I think it came through apple logo.

9. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Not a clue how the water gets in - maybe there's a gap somewhere? But I can confirm that this happened to my last rMBP which I left in a bag with a leaking bottle of water ><.

Fun times.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bummers on the water logged computer. As mentioned, you're only option is to replace the display. It won't be an inexpensive endeavor either :(

You may want to consider a more water proof solution, such as a crumpler bags, I believe they're water proof.