Water+iPod Touch=Not fun

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by fireshot91, Jun 7, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

So yeah, my friend wanted to jailbreak his iPod, so I said that I'll do it for him (Second Gen, 8GB).

I came home, and put my shorts in the washing. My mom just put my shorts in the washing machine today morning, without checking the pockets (I'm not blaming her, it was all my fault) and yeah- the iPod Touch went in there.

I feel so horrible, I mean, I'm so careful in caring for other people's items when I'm borrowing it.

It's now in a bag of rice outside on my deck. It was in the washing machine for close to 3 hours. My mom dries clothes the old fashioned way, so it didn't go in the dryer. Hopefully the battery died before it went into the washing machine (Otherwise there'd be a short right?- Not good).

Any ideas other than the rice in a bag?

2. JoshJosh117 macrumors 6502

The same exact thing happened to me. We did the rice too, but we ended up getting a replacement. (for a discount)

EDIT: Except it was my iPod, not someone else's.

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Lucky for you it was your iPod.
    I wouldn't care nearly as much if it was my iPod/iPhone, but if it's somebody else's, it just makes me feel horrible.

4. svndmvn Guest

wait a week, the rice and silica bags are the best, if put in a container..

5. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

A week!

I have to give it back to him tomorrow :/.

Will putting the rice bag in my oven with the door slightly open help any?

6. svndmvn Guest

don't get it too hot for too long, maybe half an hour at the time..
    if it's not toast yet waiting less than three days before letting it dry out in rice trying to turn it on would almost certainly kill it.

7. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

What do you mean by "Don't get it too hot for too long, maybe half an hour at the time.."?

Like, only leave it outside for half an hour (In the bag of rice).

I just went and checked it, and a lot of the moisture is on the actual bag (Good sign!).

I checked the water sensor in the headphone jack and it's all white except the diameter of the circle has a pink line :/. Is that what's supposed to happen (I thought that the whole circle was supposed to get pink?)

8. ryhno45 macrumors regular

I was running for an event and brought a long my Itouch. It started to pour rain, and I was so mad and still ran (forgetting that electronics and water don't match).

Anyways, it stopped working, but I believe if you can obtain a portable fan, and let it work its magic directly on the Itouch for a couple of hours ( overnight for 8 hours, or whatever), then you might not have to feel so guilty after all.

I did that for 1 night, and it worked again. Then I did it the next day, and the watermark disappeared from the screen. After that, everything functions as normal.

9. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Ah, well I just realized I don't have any classes with him tomorrow, so I don't have to give it to him exactly tomorrow, but on Tuesday, it is a must-let-go. I'll leave it outside all of today in the bag of rice, and then tomorrow when I get home from school, put it in the oven or something. Hopefully, it'll work by tomorrow night.

If not, I'll have to buy him a new/used one (Craigslist).

10. svndmvn Guest

I meant not too long in the oven, it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
    If you happen to have to buy him a new one, wait longer on the iPod and/or sell it on ebay or craigslist stating the damage.

11. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Do not put it in your oven if it is any hotter than 50C.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you should buy him a new one regardless

why? because any warranty he had on it is voided due to the water sensors being tripped....and it IS still under warranty (applecare as the 2 gen hasnt been out a year)

so even if it does work, i would still man up and buy him a new one. its the right thing to do

13. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yeah, I was thinking of that....but then realized, I met him like 2 months ago, and he's not a friend like that.
    If it was for a person that would attend my funeral (If I died), I would most definitely buy that person a new iPod.

But 50 degrees only for the Oven? I don't even think my oven goes that low!
    Yeah, I'll tell him about the water, if he wants me to buy him a new one, I'll keep this damaged one, and buy him a new one.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats irrelevant. you were the one that damaged his ipod. accept responsibility and offer to replace it for him:cool:

i know i would be very upset if someone tried to give me my ipod back and finding out its been in water and any warranty i had was voided
    good show

as far as the temp, they said 50C, not 50F

15. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Okay, it's been outside all day in the bag of rice.

There wasn't much condensation on the bag when I brought it in (I checked every 30 minutes, and flipped the bag of rice over). The last hour to an hour and a half, I didn't flip it, and when I brought it in (Sun started to go down), the condensation was barely there. Does that mean that it's mostly dried up?

If not, how do I know if it's dried or not?

16. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

just say it got bricked during jailbreaking and it won't turn on.p:D:apple:

17. lilchub101 macrumors member

this is what I would try...... maybe but its up to you do it at your own risk go to wallmart because they are so dumb their buy an itouch with CASH then take it home switch the pods return it say it was DOA thats what i would maybe do

18. kyto macrumors member

although wal-mart wouldn't take a big hit from that, your idea is just dishonest and illegal?

19. acfrazier macrumors newbie

You might not be screwed after all.
    I know this was posted eons ago, but meh, might help others.

Get a q-tip, and put acetone (nail polish remover) on it.
    Rub it in the headphone jack and it should reverse the litmus paper reaction.

Read it on another website, luckily have not had that happen to me myself.

Worth a shot.

20. pokute macrumors newbie

so what happened did it work or did you buy him a replacement?

21. morepower7 macrumors member

22. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

He returned it to his friend and when he turned it on it exploded in a cloud of smoke. Subsequently, his friend flared up in a fiery rage and they locked together in an epic battle of juvenile wits to the death. They both perished in a tragic schism of decay and electronics.
    ;)