Water & MacBook Black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robf, Dec 21, 2007.

1. robf macrumors newbie

OK I am sure you have had this many times on this forum before, but here goes;

I spilled a glass of water behind my MacBook Black, I quickly unplugged it from the mains and then powered it down manually by holding the power button down for 5secs, then I turned it over and removed the battery. I got a towl and removed any water I could see on the external parts, then I placed it upside down in the airing cupboard.

I am concerned as to how much damage I may of done?

Any advice is cool

Rob

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

If you leave it for a few days to dry out it could be just fine. The worst case scenario is you destroyed the logic board.

3. robf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

What is the price of replacing a logic board? (In the UK)

Well it carried on playing from iTunes until the point I turned it off.

All I want for Christmas is a working MacBook :)

Lesson: Do not place glasses of drink next to Apple products :)

I was very lucky as it nearly took out my iPhone as well!

4. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

Put it like this - most logic board failures are so expensive to fix you might be better off buying a new MacBook.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Considering you turned it off yourself and that it didn't crash, my guess is that it will be fine after it completely airs out.

6. eman macrumors 6502a

I would pull the keyboard off so it can dry out real well. Also with the keyboard off you can inspect the inside for water. Let it dry a couple of days. If you pulled the battery out fast enough you may be OK.

7. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

While this is a great idea on an iBook, I'm not sure I would advise it on a Macbook, where keyboard removal entails a full disassembly.

8. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

if it spilled BEHIND your computer and not over or ontop of it, there probably was very little water inside the case, as there aren't really many ways for it to get into it from onthe table behind (unless it really dumped into the vents or something) and since you have to turn it off.. I am going to assume after a few days of drying out it will be just fine.... and it was water, nothing sticky, so that is better too.

I wouldn't worry too much. You did everything right it seems. I am going to guess from the way you explained it, very little moisture got into the actual macbook.

9. eman macrumors 6502a

Sorry, keyboard removal does not entail full disassemble. Just remove the keyboard and do not fully disassemble the macbook. Water spilled in the back of the macbook may run in the rear vents, where the logic board and fan are located.

10. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure the MacBook keyboard works the way you think it does.

11. -Josh- macrumors regular

I've spilt water on my keyboard before. I turned it upright and drained it, removed the water. Never turned it off, nothing. No damage at all.

Josh

12. eman macrumors 6502a

I have removed many keyboards and have completely disassembled the macbook 100%. There are 23 screws just to remove the keyboard.

There are many macbooks and logic boards on ebay every day with liquid damage. If you damage the macbook logic board Apple will charge around $800 to install a new LB.

13. robf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all who posted.

Left MacBook for about 24hrs and now I am back up and running fully and well!

14. yasemintekmen macrumors newbie

water & macbook white

My mum (thanks to her) just poured a full glass of water (drinking water, as I learned that it makes a difference) directly on to my macbook over the keyboard (2 weeks old macbook unfortunately) while it is plugged and i was working with it.
    The first thing I screamed, then I turned it upside down, then unplugged, rinsed with paper towel, shut it down by using the touch pad while it was still upside down (difficult but it worked), then with a hair dryer i tried to dry it for half an hour. took off the bettery. put it upside down. But after an hour I couldn't wait (i was almost dying) and tried to turn it on. At first everything was great, it turned on and then after a few seconds it gone away, then after a few minutes it came back again, then i turned it off again completely, took off the battery, and read all the forums.

i will wait 2 days to turn it on again.
    and pray :))
    and try to be nice to my mum (it's another subject)

i wonder if i should do the rice experiment or is it enough to leave it two days upside down?

15. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

DON'T turn it on. Powering in on while there's moisture inside is what's going to do the damage. Let it fully air out for a couple of days with the battery out and everything unplugged.