Water = Macbook hibernate after boot....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by patrickjquinn, Jul 22, 2010.

1. patrickjquinn macrumors newbie

Ok i know this is not a new phenomenon but i spilled a cup of water (the water came from a purifier / cooler so best possibly water to spill) on my unibody 13" macbook pro's keyboard. It was quickly turned off, drained and dried. I removed the back panel and removed and excess water that i could see. I then left it for 24 hours to dry and turned it on (i know i know) the machine boots up and gets to the desktop before shutting down and hibernating. that was 48 hours ago and its still doing the same thing. I tried loading the restore dvd and the same thing happened (it hibernates when the desktop is loading). I then loaded up a ubuntu live CD that i had and it all worked perfectly from that. That would indicate that the hardware is not at fault but some sensor driver is being loaded when the mac boots up and telling it to shut down. Obviously there isnt a driver for that sensor in ubuntu. The macbook boots into single user mode just fine. :apple:

Does any one have any idea any help would be REALLY apreciated, i need this machine for work.

Thanks for your time guys

All the best

Patrick Q

2. moel macrumors 6502

stick it in rice and leave it for a further 3 days in your airing cupboard.

Otherwise it's an insurance job.

3. patrickjquinn thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks ill leave it to air out till monday of next week, do you know if there is some sort of build in sensor that is either monitoring the moisture levels or something along those lines? Ill have to see if my contents insurance covers it..

4. moel macrumors 6502

i would say it's far more likely that the hinge sensor is shorting out, thinking that the lid of the mbp is shut and so going to sleep

5. patrickjquinn thread starter macrumors newbie

Quite possible, but why would it do it at exactly the same time (when it is about to login after X starts) every time, if it is water shorting the circuit then it means a good dry should fix it as it hasn't blown the circut but is just creating a bridge thats shorting it correct (thanks for the help on this by the way)

6. moel macrumors 6502

because thats when it starts probing it's sensors like that...if you turn your macbook on, then shut the lid, it will start up and then hibernate when it's logging in.

7. patrickjquinn thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok yes that makes the most sense to me. Thanks. The version of ubuntu was quite old, 8.04 so it probably didnt support the hinge sensor for sleep on the mbp. Good thinking. ill come back and tell you if i manage to get it fixed.

8. patrickjquinn thread starter macrumors newbie

does any body know if it is at all possible to disable the sleep kext in single user mode?