Water & Melted Keys What to Do

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maclub10, Aug 10, 2010.

1. maclub10 macrumors newbie

My worst nightmare just came true.

1. My dd passed by my mbp and dropped half a cup of water on my mbp.

I panicked and did not want the water to reach the water sensor, so I grabbed a blow dryer right away.

2. When I turned it upside down to drain and started the blow dryer on warm some of the keys melted right off.

Question.

1. What are the odds of the water having reached the water sensor since I was so quick to turn it upside down and blow dry the life out of it? And if it did reach the water sensor will the warantee be completely void?

2. Where can I find replacement keys, that is if my mbp makes it.

Update- I was able to shut it down after the blow drying fiasco, but I could not remove the battery since it is one of the new ones and I don't have a tri-wing screwdriver. I have it with rice in between the laptop and a tshirt, with a fan right above it.

I will await suggestions and advice. This all happens in the light of it just getting scratched by airport tsa. Just my luck. It is the new i7 2.66 15".

2. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

TURN IT OFF!

Then open the bottom and let it air out for a few days.

That would be the first steps.

Then see if it still works.
    If yes, try to find a replacement keyboard (or just keys).
    If no, well...

3. Xenophon macrumors regular

Odds are high the water will have reached at least one of the 4 sensors. And yes, it completely voids your warranty, which is normal. You might get lucky, though. Let it air/dry as described and if it continues to work you're good. Be glad is was water, not coke or juice.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

How easy was it to melt the keys? Can you post a picture of how melted these keys are? Computers generate a lot of heat, and your dryer must be really hot.

5. maclub10 thread starter macrumors newbie

The keys became swollen immediately and shrunk from their actual size, they melted from the sides. I am in the process of ordering new keys. It was 15 in all, from the left side of the mbp. I will try to post pics later this evening.

I was hoping the water did not reach the sensors, given that I had started to have sound issues recently and wanted to take it to the genius bar to get checked out, but if that won't be covered now I am in a bad place. It hurts that it is only about 1 month old and I hate to throw money down the drain.

I wish I knew for certain if the sensors were triggered. Lesson learned for sure with the blow dryer.

My main thing is that I wish it did not reach any of the main components.

I have been checking it while it has been laying on the rice and I believe since I was so fast in turning it upside down and drying it with a tshirt and blow dryer that I don't believe there is any more water in there. It may be damp or there may be moisture but none that I can tell.

Are there any resources that say how to remove the keyboard so that I can check if that section is wet?

I was only able to move the back cover to try and remove the battery.

Thanks.