Water on trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by david401, Feb 18, 2014.

1. david401, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

david401 macrumors member

So I spilt some water on the bottom right corner of my late 2013 15 inch rmbp. Some got on the trackpad and a bit started dripping off the side, I cleaned it up pretty fast and I don't think any got in the right air vent, seems like it would've just gone over... but I'm concerned about the trackpad. Everything seems fine, it's not acting up and the computer seems to be working fine but is there any chance something could've gone in-between the trackpad and the body of the macbook? Is my computer now a ticking time bomb, just waiting to fry?

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

There shouldn't be anything that could be damaged. If you'd take it apart you see that there are plastic sheets in between to prevent water damage.
    Water can do damage if it gets into the the vents for cooling as all this air moves across all the electronics.
    The keyboard is also protected. I am not sure about the speakers but I am guessing those too.

A bit of liquids on the trackpad should do absolutely nothing except make tracking worse until you get it dry again.

3. david401 thread starter macrumors member

Mmk thanks. Think I'm good then. Like I said, I don't think any actually got into the vent as they're slanted inwards. Seems like it just dripped off the side before I wiped it.

4. david401 thread starter macrumors member

So the very very bottom, like right on the edge of the trackpad doesn't always pick up movement... Thats mainly where the water was spilt. I'm not sure if it was like that before..

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

It's a feature :)

Not sure about the retinas, but my MBP's trackpad behaves exactly like this. Bottom 5 millimeters don't track.

6. david401 thread starter macrumors member

Oh okay. Well it looks like I'm good then. Thanks!

7. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Yep, it's a software feature to avoid your thumb from interfering.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Next time you learned a lesson...Do me a favor, don't drink water close to your expensive prize! :apple:

9. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

ive had way too many close calls with tipping a bottle or glass next to my mac, now i keep it on my cover and far far away from anything i drink (moves glass of water that was right next to computer) :rolleyes:

10. david401 thread starter macrumors member

So I'm probably being paranoid but when I move my right hand back to the trackpad, i tend to swipe in from the right. I sorta drag my finger from the unibody onto the trackpad to get my mouse going again. Dunno if it was like this before the spill, but it doesn't pick up my movement right away. If I go fast over the entire thing it doesn't pick it up at all and if I just swipe in like I usually do it takes until I'm about 1/4 into the pad to recognize. It's all fine on the left side. Did I screw up my trackpad or is this another software thing? I'm probably just being paranoid but the computers only a month old. It's the 750m model too. :S