water + powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by William Wallace, Nov 20, 2007.

1. William Wallace macrumors newbie

hi,
    My sister, spilled water on her powerbook (15 in 1ghz ) she quickly wiped it up with a towel after that, she says it worked, until the screen when fuzzy. Then she tried to restart, it turns on, but there is no start up sound, only the caps lock key shows its on, and a faint humming. I have plugged it in to an external dell monitor but it shows shows nothing. I now that it should be dried out, and have searched this forum, i was wondering if it maters that she did not unplug it and remove the battery right away. Does any one here know if this is a lost cause or will it work after several days.
    jesse

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

give it a couple of days and then try. See the results then there is your answer.

The results are too unpredictable to say either way. Hopefully you will be a lucky one.

3. William Wallace thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much :). all opinions welcome
    -sister who messed up computer :(

4. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

Exactly how much water was spilled on the PB? As long as it wasn't a whole lot and you cleaned it as soon as it happened, you should be ok after a few days of letting it dry out. My coworker spilled water on his MBP and let it dry out within a few days, and it was ok...but didn't fare well with the diet soda that his 4 year old spilled on it...

5. William Wallace thread starter macrumors newbie

she says about 1/2 to 1 once spilled on the keyboard, and later the screen went fuzzy while browsing myspace backgrounds she did not turn it off until the screen when fuzzy.
    thank you for all the quick responses

6. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Are you sure the water is causing the problem? Maybe it was just the forces from above punishing her for using Myspace.

7. William Wallace thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i bother her allot because of her myspace habits but i used to have the powerbook and i kept it in near perfect condition for around 3 years. i don't know the computer might have just died, but think it was the water as i kept in in very good condition. Any one have any idea how much it will cost to fix, assuming it dose not dry out and i can't fix it some how?
    jesse

8. termina3 macrumors 65816

It'd be more practical to buy a new MacBook.

9. William Wallace thread starter macrumors newbie

I would by my sister a new macbook but i don't have a job yet, i just turned 16. i bought my self a new computer recently. All she uses her computer for is myspace and world processing so she could get by with a older ibook but ill save that for another thread.