Water resistance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexrat1996, Sep 9, 2016.

?

Would you people want a water resistance MacBook Pro

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It would be nice but I'd imagine the cooling would be a bit of an issue don't you???

2. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

Yes but Apple has there ways on figuring things out

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It would be nice, but I don't think it will be feasible, nor do I think its a feature that is worth the cost of research and development. Unlike a phone, that can be in situations where it gets wet, laptops don't generally find themselves in in situations that cause it to get wet, other then negligence on the owner's part, i.e., spilling their coffee.

I definitely would not want to get one, if that means the price would be higher, I find the MBPs are over priced as it stands.

What about current MBPS? They tend to run hot, with no open vents to migrate the heat out of the enclosure only means it will cook itself to death

4. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

I know about that but Apple figures thing out first and does there testing

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You mean testing like if an iPhone bends, or the coating on a MBP peels off, or the dGPU fails?

I think you're putting too much faith in the Apple to blindly fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Plus there are some design choices that are not economically feasible. The cost of apple making a water proof laptop is probably so high, they'll never get a return on their investment, i.e., a water proof MBP won't cause sales to rise very much

6. Alexrat1996 thread starter Suspended

At least they should Relase an apple care plus for MacBooks that cover liquid damages like iPhones for a fee

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They should but but since they haven't yet, I don't think they're interested in covering the cost of a 2,000 dollar laptop being destroyed by someone spilling their drink.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Or you can just name it on your home insurance for a nominal fee.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

And how do you suggest they break the laws of physics?

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Phones tend to be used in environments where getting wet is a decent possibility laptops not as much. So I don't think it is needed. At the most maybe some waterproofing around the keyboard so if you spill a drink the logic board isn't shot too.

11. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

12. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

well my current mbpr (2014) is hot when under load... i really dont want to get another low, dual core prossessor for a pro model just to keep the heat under the nut cracker temperature.

13. jerryk macrumors 68020

It sure would be nice.

Our Lenovo thinkpads have nice spill drainage. And they have the extra issue of being yoga units where the screen folds all the way to make the unit a tablet. Also, when it tablet mode, the drainage try rises around the keyboard to prevent key presses. If Lenovo can do all this, Apple can surely put a drainage tray in a MacBook Pro that prevent liquids spilled on the keyboard from shorting out the unit.

14. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

^ was about to write the same thing. For all I hated the Lenovo machines I had for work, that drainage under the keyboard was a good idea. I never tried if it actually works however... and since nothing else on those Thinkpads worked as it should, I have my doubts.