Water sensor questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by John88, Mar 21, 2011.

1. John88 macrumors member

Hey everyone I got a couple questions about the water sensors. It's been raining, and I was wondering- say you were taking a call and a rain drop went in the headphone jack, would it trip the sensor? That would really suck... Or do they only go off when your iPhone is submerged in water?

And does anyone take their iPhones to the gym? Any problems with moisture, when it's in your pocket? Like messing up the home button, tripping water sensors, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

3. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302 has info on liquid damage and sensor locations.

I'm not sure how 'sensitive' the water sensors actually are but wouldnt think light moisture would trip them easily.

4. jacollins macrumors 6502a

There are multiple sensors. The two "external" ones are in the headphone jack and the 30 pin jack. The other two are internal. The external ones could be tripped, but the internal would not unless it is submerged. Apple's supposed to look at the internal sensors as well when determining water damage. If they don't and refuse replacement, you simply insist on them checking the internal ones. Well, unless you actually did dunk it...

5. walie macrumors 6502a

in your thread you said it was a piece of dirt

6. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

if a drop of rain went into the headphone jack, yes, it would cause the sensor to discolor, indicating exposure.

the sensors are just litmus paper that are designed to change color in the presence of moisture. a through dunking would just ensure that the sensors used internally have a better chance of getting inundated with enough moisture to cause them to change (as well as short the electronics).

but i wouldnt worry about the external sensors as it's the internal ones that Apple techs are now encouraged to check when determining warranty status.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

In rain, I always cover headphone port with a finger over it

8. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Busted!

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

like to stalk much? :D

10. walie macrumors 6502a

only people who have iphone4's

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

If you keep reading it, we basically came up with the solution it was scraped off in production.

It could be dirt but its not coming out....and the only time my phone saw rain was for 2 seconds and the headphone jack was upside down plus its black inside not red/pink/green