Water sensor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reclusive46, Feb 25, 2012.

1. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just noticed that my iPhone's headphone jack has gone pink around the edges of the water sensor. Not fully just around the edges. There is nothing wrong with my phone right now but am worried it might be a problem in the future. How strict are Apple on this? It is only the headphone jack that is slightly pink. Dock connector one is fine.

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It depends on the Genius and what you're taking it in for.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Its always a 50/50 chance if they let it go or if they will charge you an out-of-warranty fee in the future.

The dock connecter had turned red on my friend's iPhone 3GS like 2 months ago, she went in for service and was told that she had to pay $150 because the sensor had turned red, even though the headphone jack and the internal sensors were still white.

She couldn't pay it then but returned a few days later with the money and was told "it looks as though your sensor has turned red, I'm going to go ahead a swap out your iPhone at no charge but just try to be more careful in the future"

My friend and I were both shocked because with one employee "their was nothing they can do" and with another employee didn't even seem to care.

4. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

My antenna stopped working for some strange reason this morning. So took it into an Apple store. He replaced it. He never said anything but on the receipt it said:

Condition: As New
    Liquid Damage: 1 indicator showing but dock connector is still white.

Maybe there policy to only not replace an iPhone unless both are pink?

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I understand that Apple has got the patent on a new type of water sensor that is more dependable and all electronic rather than use a chemical on paper that changes color.

These new sensors are all electronic and are supposed to also have the ability to tell the iPhone to send a message to Apple along with it's location. Rumor it might even take a picture to go with it.

Sneaky?

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Patent ≠ any actual product or intention of making such a product.
    Why would it be in any way useful for Apple to know where you got your phone wet on top of the information they and carriers are already collecting?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I think they need more than one sensor to charge you the out of warranty fee.
    People have to remember that those sensors can be tripped easily like if you have the phone in a moist/damp envirornment like steam room or the bathroom after someone has taken a bath or shower.
    Of making a call and theres light rain or drizzle outside and a drop of water falls into the headphone jack etc...

8. vincent.m macrumors member

if one or both of the indicators change colour it should just be an indication to check inside the phone. If that one has been tripped you are SOL.

9. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Haha. Well obviously the genius could not be bothered with me. Just replaced it.

10. Zxxv Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yea right. People sat on toilet and phone takes pictures. Naked people in their own homes drop phone in drink and phone takes picture. And sends to apple.

This is a wind up right ;)

11. gaanee macrumors 6502a

I always hear that the best place to apply the screen protector is in the bathroom with hot water running as the moisture settles dust particles in air. Although I haven't tried this before, but now this makes me think twice is it a good idea. I was going to try it on new 5s because previous one got a dust particle and a bubble.