Water/Sound issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Yvizzle, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Yvizzle macrumors newbie

My iPhone slid into a sink with about an inch of water in it, and was there for about 2 seconds before I got it out. Everything stayed on, everything still worked, texts, apps, internet, but the sound isn't working. My ringtone sound works, but my iPod sound does not, nor does my text message prompts. I couldn't see in the headset jack if the water damage marking was pink, and my phone is currently shut off and in a bowl of rice. Has anyone ever had this happen, and/or any advice on how to ensure all sounds go back to normal? Thanks!

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Wirelessly posted (David's Black 16GB iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Once the iPhone has been in the rice for at least 24 hours, turn it on and see if it works again. If not, do a restore. Also make sure the volume slider is all the way up. I know it sounds stupid to ask but it can't hurt.

DPA

3. Yvizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

Also

I dont know if it matters also, but I forgot to add that the iPod and text sounds work with headphones in, still.

thx

Y

4. Yvizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

And

When I turn my phone all the way up, it says its on headphones when it's not.

5. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Do the restore FIRST, then if there are any persisting problems we will deal with those. But, I'd like to see if the Restore fixes the problems before we further examine the issue, as that would be a waste of time.

DPA

7. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Doing a restore is always a good idea. But from the sound of it, it sure does seem like the water caused something to happen internally that makes the phone think that headphones are always plugged in. That's why when you adjust the volume with no headphones plugged in, it says "headphones" on the screen, and would also explain why you can't hear anything through the external speaker (it's piping the sound out the headphone jack, 'cause it thinks there are some plugged in).

Let it dry out a little longer (and by "a little" I mean what DPA said earlier: another 24 hours) , and resist the urge to turn it on every hour to check up on it. ;)

-- Nathan

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Yes, it does sound like something internally could happen but, like you agreed, a restore would confirm either the former or latter theories. I have, however, experienced this headphone error reading before with my iPhone 3G. After a quick reboot it stopped though. But don't make this an excuse to boot your iPhone. Continue to leave it in the rice for another 24 hours like Nathan and I said and then see how it's doing.

DPA

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Dropping a phone or any other item of electronic equipment in water (even for a short time!) is never a good idea - water and electronics just don't mix!

However, when this does happen, in order to try to rescue the situation, there are a few golden rules.

Switch off the equipment in order to try to avoid components from "shorting out" thereby causing further damage.

Get rid of the water that may be inside the equipment (easier said than done!) Ideally, disassemble the equipment, in the case of the iPhone this is best avoided unless you really know what you're doing. The "rice" treatment can work providing little water has penetrated. Always leave in a warm place - the idea is to encourage moisture to evaporate.

Leave the item to "dry out" for as long as possible, 2-3 days minimum. Don't switch anything on until it's dry.

Unfortunately, this treatment does not always work because moisture has corroded and shorted out tracks on the PSB resulting in component failure. Unfortunately, such faults cannot be resolved by restoring, re-booting etc. It's all a matter of luck!