Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arnoldsmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
Wife accidently spilled water on the keyboard. Read here to put it in Rice like the phones. Said to wrap it in a cloth - I am using a cotton T shirt and have the mac open inside the pillow case and upside down so the Keyboard is facing the rice. Is this a good procedure? I figured they say to dump the water off the key board so why not have it facing towards the rice, plus let the mac air dry in the dry climate the rice causes ?

Queen6

macrumors G4
Needs to be a sealed container, dont emerse the computer and leave it as long as you can, i would recommend 5-7 days if possible. Dont be tempted to turn it on too soon as you may only risk damage, if the battery is removable take it out, good luck.

Arnoldsmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
Bury it?

Should be buried in the rice then? That is what I would like to know and if it should be shut and its orientation. Read here a guy said to wrap in a cloth. So do a then bury it in the rice in the towel. Crazy!! Freaked!

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Should be buried in the rice then? That is what I would like to know and if it should be shut and its orientation. Read here a guy said to wrap in a cloth. So do a then bury it in the rice in the towel. Crazy!! Freaked!

Dont turn your computer on.
If its a replaceable battery, take it out.
Bury it in rice in a closed container.
This lets rice soak the water out of your Mac.

Queen6

macrumors G4

No doesn't work that way, just a sealed container, the rice will absorb any moisture from the air within the container. The cloth will simply prevent any dust particles entering the machine.

Be calm it will be ok as long as there is no immediate water ingress to the logic board; dispair is your enemy right now, patience is your friend. Slow down and let the rice pull the water for 5-7 days and then lets see, what we see :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.