Water Spill..I have the worst luck

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Noimus, May 10, 2014.

1. Noimus macrumors newbie

I seriously have the worst luck and now I am facing a dilemma. Recently a pipe in my house bursted and my MBP got soaked in water. I'm talking the water hit the screen, keyboard, ports, etc. It was turned on before I left and after all the water I came back and it was turned off. It wouldn't turn on. I dried it up. I did idiotic things like trying to turn it on but it wouldn't work, as well as plugging in the AC adapter in hopes of it working. All I heard was sizzling sounds. Anyways now it's upside down and I'm just praying it dries.

Now I don't know what to do? For Apple to fix it it'll be $750+. I can honestly buy a brand new 2013 MBA for around $850. This is a 2011 MBP. I barely ever use it just when I'm in college since I have a desktop at home, but since I'm living in college in the fall I would need to rely on my laptop a lot. I don't know what to do? I don't really use it extensively just for school work and browing, and the occasional Netflix and pron. Is there any way to repair the water damage? I'm trying to save as much money as possible but I feel like this is more than just a water spill. The pipe bursted and my PC was drenched in water. :(

I was thinking about paying this one site iSpillRepair and getting it fixed for $350 but I really don't trust sending my computer away.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Do you have renters insurance? If so, file a claim and get your mbp replaced

3. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

From my understanding, it sounds like you might be living with your parents now, and going to college next year. See if your parents' home owners/renters' insurance will cover it, given that it was an issue with the property that destroyed the machine. If you live by yourself, hopefully you've got renter's insurance, like the other guy suggested.

Otherwise, that is sort of just poor luck. Things happen though, and I suppose that it could have been worse.

4. Noimus thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try to do that, I just don't think it'll be covered though :/

If you guys were to choose, would you go for a new Air or should I just fix this MBP?

5. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

check craigslist to see if there are any good local deals. For $850, I found a mint 2012 mbp for a friend not too long ago, but always good to check around for the best deal..you never know.

6. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Don't repair it. Sell it on eBay for parts and buy new.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Take the HDD/SSD out and just dump the computer.

It's not worth fixing at this point.

You can probably sell some parts on Ebay or something; just be sure to mention it comes with no drive and it's been water damaged.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bummers, though if you have renters insurance you can get it replaced.

I'd say the computer is toast at this point :(