Water Spill on MacBook Air, Should I Go to The Apple Store?

acinod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2019
I recently spilled a glass of water over my Macbook Air (2012) keyboard and it immediately turned off. I started wiping the water to dry and then tried to turn it on but nothing happened. After a while, the fan suddenly was on max for a few minutes before going down to a lower intensity. The whole time the screen was not on. After a while, the fan was off and the Macbook was back to being dead. I found a youtube video that told me to flip it upside down and place it under a towel which I did but nothing worked so I'm currently storing it inside a rice bag to dry.

I'm thinking about going to the Apple Store tomorrow which would be exactly 20 hours since the accident. Is this the best course of action I should take?

I also recently replaced the battery of my Macbook. If worse comes to worse, will I be able to take out the battery (assuming it still works) and sell it?

Thanks in advance.

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2015
I’d take it in. I know it’s inconvenient, but this can be a pretty big deal in the end

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Apple is not going to offer much of a solution since the 2012 Air may now be considered a vintage or legacy product in your country.

Turning it on without disassembling the air to dry may have caused damage to an onboard fuse, capacitor, or resistor.

I recommend removing all of the internal components from the air, cleaning all circuit boards with pure isopropyl alcohol, allow the parts to thoroughly dry, reassemble but do not connect the battery, backlight, or keyboard, attach the charger, and wait about 1 minute to see if the Air powers itself on. If it does, connect the keyboard, connect the charger, perform an SMC and NVRAM reset, and hope the Air boots without the fans running at full speed.

Willo34

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2015
Netherlands
The problem with bringing it to Apple is that they will open the machine up, look at where there is liquid damage and they will say those parts all need replacing, making it so expensive you'd do better buying a new one.
Best bet is to find a proper repair store that does some kind of liquid damage treatment....

Reactions: BasicGreatGuy