Water spill on MBP - Can I save it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluemoth44, Jan 21, 2013.

1. bluemoth44, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2013

bluemoth44 macrumors newbie

I got a Macbook Pro for my Christmas present/18th birthday present for art. As I was painting a created a small pool of water on the table, later I accidentally place my Mac in the water and about two teaspoons (at most!) worth of water got inside the gap at the back, I think this is where the fan is located. The screen was covered in weird patterns. I turned it off, dried it off and stupidly plugged the charger in, in a panic to see if it was okay, it didn't turn on so I took the charger out and put it on it side to let the water drain off, even though there didn't appear to be any. I tried to turn it on earlier but still no success and have now put it in a box of rice, hoping it will dry it out more. Does the rice need to fully submerge the laptop? I am trying to be cautious as I have heard rice can get inside the laptop and do further damage.

How likely is it to be okay? I just want it to function until I have money to repair it as my parents paid money they couldn't really afford for it. Please don't post comments saying I was an idiot, I know I was and you aren't helping, I can't afford to get a new laptop.

I just can't believe how sensitive Macs are >.< I have tipped water over my other laptops so many times and it had no effect.

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Yea rice is far from an ideal solution, try a dehumidifier in very close proximity to your laptop.

3. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, you may be stuck. Keep letting it dry and hope for the best. If you're brave, you can remove the back and disconnect the battery and also let it dry from the inside. Even plain water isn't really just water and when the water dries will leave behind residue. Also, things can short from the water. You may get lucky though and it might come back to life. Good luck!

4. bluemoth44 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really hope it's okay >.< I was so excited about getting into digital art :(

5. KPOM macrumors G5

Unfortunately, Macs are very sensitive to water. That's why I usually use a keyboard cover. In any case, Apple's standard repair charge is $755 to replace a logic board after water damage. Unfortunately, since you plugged it back in it probably shorted out. You might see if homeowner's/renter's insurance will cover any of the damage.

Also, if your parents bought it for you using a credit card, since it was purchased just before Christmas you might have accidental damage coverage for 90 days. Amex and some Visa and Mastercards have this coverage.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

First, learn to keep your beverages away from technology.
    Second, if it was bought with a credit card it may be covered for accidental damage.