water spilled on macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blaqink, Apr 10, 2011.

1. blaqink macrumors member

so i have a mid 2009 unibody macbook pro. I am a DJ and lastnight someone accidentally chucked a glass of water at my laptop. It spilled on the keyboard and a bit near the connection between the screen and the body. I have read around the forums that the best thing to do is shut it off and let it dry. But I didnt know this at the time so i just dried everything up with a paper towel and kept going for another 3 hours. the only thing that seemed to stop working was the trackpad, but after i dried it up a bit more it started working again. now my question is this, in those 3 hours the laptop seemed to be working fine, and when i got home i opened it up and dried it some more just incase. is it possible the laptop could be working for now but something might short later, or if its working well then more than likely i don't have anything to worry about? Or is there some long term damage that could happen to it?

2. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

If everything is working fine now, and it has infact all dried out; you should be fine.

3. PwcrLinux macrumors newbie

Hello there,

If you bought it from best buy store, I recommend get a "Accidental Damage from Handling" coverage, the Geek Squad would able to help fix the spilled accidental.

The Apple Inc does not have a ADH program. only have a system defective warranty.

Mines have a 3 years ADH program including warranty services.

4. JoeSafe macrumors newbie

JoeSafe

Usually when you spill something on a mac the damage usually happens straight away. If its working fine now it should be ok in the long run.

I'm sure none of this would be covered under any insurance unless you have accidental cover. However I think this should be fine as the damage would have happened by now.

Hope this helps :)

5. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Leave it to dry for at least 24 hours in a warm well ventilated place. If all is well after that you have probably gotten away with it.

Accidental damage cover is a good idea if you are a DJ!

6. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

You can buy accidental damage coverage AFTER the damage? :eek:

7. blaqink thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah this is what I wanted to know. And accidental damage protection is something I will deffinatley look into next time around. I purchased mine from the apple store so no such thing.

8. dudeofswim macrumors member

but you can still get it from squaretrade and the like ~$200-300

9. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

A side-note, that I don't know the answer to:

From what I understand, there are moisture sensors inside the MBP which will alert Apple to the fact that that the computer has "encountered" liquids, and this will void your warranty. Now you may not have Apple Care anyway, but if you do, and you knew it would be voided, I wonder if it would be smart to just cancel your Apple Care and get the balance refunded.

1) Can one do that? I think I have read about people getting the balance of Apple Care refunded for other situations (maybe?)

2) Or will Apple still honor Apple Care for other problems that are clearly not related to water damage (not sure what those would be, but....?)

Whew, that must have been stressful! Glad to hear things are working now.

MT

10. PwcrLinux macrumors newbie

No, the first purchase of new Mac lappy, and I joined the ADH program at the Best Buy store with Geek Squad Tech Service. Delayed after purchased that would not be accepting to join ADH it's upfront pay for it.

11. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

So how does the help with the OP's plight?

12. blaqink thread starter macrumors member

speaking of moisture sensors...can anyone point me in the right direction to somewhere that will show me wehre these sensors are located. because i opened my laptop the night of the incident when i got home so i could let it dry out, and what i assumed was a moisture sensor seemed to be unharmed, as in it was not red. but it could have just been something else. i would like to know where these sensors are located

13. alent1234 macrumors 603

few years ago i had a HP laptop at work and spilled iced tea on it. after drying it with a hair dryer i still had a touchpad issue. i was told to get q-tips and rubbing alcohol and wipe the inside circuitry with it.

took me a few times and a few hours and finally worked. computer worked for another year after than until the screen died

14. sdneidich macrumors member

Here is a better idea. Do you have homeowner's or renter's insurance?
    If so, give them a call and tell them you want a quote to schedule a computer on your policy.

With my renter's insurance, it costs an extra $20 a year on my policy. So I get my MBP insured for under $2 a month, and there is 0 deductible on it in the event of any damage of any kind (except me intentionally hitting it with a hammer.)