Water under the screen.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazydrumma, Jun 23, 2009.

1. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Alright, the title would make me come in here already seething, asking "How could you be so irresponsible...?"

My wife insists on carrying her iphone in the back pocket of her jeans. I told her the moment I bought it "If you carry it in your back pocket, something is going to happen." She didn't believe me, and so she did what she wanted.

I came home from work the other day to find her iPhone sitting on a towel in the living room, with a note reading "My iPhone fell in the toilet. Please don't be mad at me, I'm mad enough at myself..."

The phone was off, I took out the SIM card tray, dried off what I could see, took a blow dryer on cool to the top, and then stuck it in a thin sock in a bag of rice. It sat there for three days, and I just took it out.

It turns on, and works fine, however, there is what appears to be moisture underneath the screen, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this will go away:

[​IMG]

thank you all in advance, I'm frustrated beyond belief.

2. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

Man sorry to hear about the foreseeable accident; it bites. I had a similar situation where my wife washed mine and everything worked except for the home button and the screen looked washed out like yours. I did the same thing; bag of rice on top of the dryer for 2 weeks and it still did not make a difference. Sold it on craig's list for 150.00.

Good Luck

3. crazydrumma thread starter macrumors regular

4. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

My former 3g went mountain biking, it drown, it dried out and worked, my screen looked like yours. I put it under high (but not too high!) heat hologen desk lamp overnight, for about 2 days. It cleared up perfect. so there IS hope.

just dont nuke it with too much heat.

good luck.

also, if you have apple care they allow a one time water damage swap (there is a deductible though)

5. svndmvn Guest

I think it could be water between the LCD and the glass or between that and the digitizer, a few more days in a bag of rice could help, or you can try and use like that, it could get better in time.. I heard opening it up is a bit difficult, the alternatives are better IMO

6. crazydrumma thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, cool. I'm going to try and see if drying it out more could help. Any other suggestions?

7. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Ive heard of people putting their phones in the oven at 50c for 5 mins and has dried them out!

Dont quote me on it but could be a last resort for you!

8. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Ack! :eek:

Well, if all else fails, you can get it replaced at an Apple Store for $199.

9. crazydrumma thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE: Tried to dry it out longer, but no luck. We took it into the apple store and indeed shelled out $200 for a replacement.

The Genius at the store said "My iPhone went through the washing machine before, so I feel your pain."

Then, while setting up the refurb for my wife, asked us, "Have you guys heard of the website f*** my life? Well, this phone has FML in the serial number, so you might want to be extra careful"...

very funny. But anyway, she has a "new" iPhone and its working well. Thanks for the help anyway, guys.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

That's hilarious. Nuttin' like a little bit of humor to lighten up that $200 jab.

11. army91c macrumors 6502a

Your wife is not the problem, it's the iPhone.... It LOVES the toilette! Mine also dove right out of my hand into the water....

I had it in my hand sat down to do my business and my arm banged against my leg and smooth as can be slid right out of my hand and right into the drink! I ended up spazzing out and taking it apart quickly followed the next day with a trip to Apple to drop $213 for a new one. Don't beat her up to much.... it's the phones!

12. crazydrumma thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, yea, this happens all the time, I wasn't too mad at her for it (well, at first I was but got over it.), we could afford the replacement, so it's all good. At least now I know she'll be extra careful haha.