Water vs MBP - HELP :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yixian, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Yixian macrumors 65816

Cannot believe this... Knocked over a glass of water in the dark and a small puddle seeped under my MacBook pro - I quickly covered it I'm a towel and cleaned it up, it was barely wet at all, but when I tried to start it up the screen was blank. I blowdried it and tried again but still the screen is blank - when I boot it up the White light on the front turn on, the computer songs eerily quiet, the light goes off, then comes back on again, stays on and although the computer sounds like it's whirring it's still completely blank...

OMFG.

Any ideas....

2. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

What's my prognosis?

The computer was on but asleep, I have tried to start it twice from the battery, immediately unplugged from the mains.

Leaving now for 2 days with battery out. This happened 20 mins ago..

What are my chances :( do the led/noises I mentioned sound good/bad?

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You could've at least read any one of those links.... You would've found you're pretty much screwed, you've voided your warranty and your only hope (aside from leaving it for a good few days in a well ventilated dry area, like an airing cupboard) is to take it to apple where it's going to cost you any amount of money between $300-1000 to fix.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you take the time to read any of the threads I posted links to? You'll find all your questions have been answered several hundred times in the dozens of threads on spills.

5. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

It's the middle of the night and all I have is an iPhone on edge to view any of this - just wanted to know if it sounds like my machine has any chance based on the signs.

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You really should've mentioned that in your first post :p

Yeah, take it to apple if the airing cupboard trick doesn't work.

Good luck.

7. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

This is unbelievable, barely more than a few drops could have gotten in and the case was closed...

I don't know where the logic board is, the only place any water got was in that little vent area betweenthe screen and base, but trying to turn it on twice might have just cost me my mbp...

8. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

Does the lack of a boot sound when I tried to start it up suggest permnent death by logic board frying?

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The logic board is directly below the keyboard and grilling, it's hardly unbelievable, water and electronics simply do not mix.

10. prodigee macrumors 6502a

From the description you just gave, about where the water entered, I can only say that the logic board is F'ed and you are going to need to shell out mighty large chunk of change to get it replaced. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...:(

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

If you hadn't tried to turn it on and didn't pull the blowdryer stunt it could have been perfectly recoverable.

Shameless, terrible, should-be-shot-for-even-posting-it self promotion: http://www.waylessthantekserve.com/spill.html

But if you use a blowdryer and turn it on repeatedly, you've probably ruined more than can ever be fixed. A lot of people ruin the thin display connector leads by doing this. The corrosion on them can be cleaned off but if you take stuff that already is corroding and blowdry it, it's gone. It's the one thing that has kept me from being successful in numerous cases.

Hairdryers are for hair, not sensitive electronics. :(

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

You F'd yourself by turning it on, its most likely ruined now. Next stop, costly repair thats not covered by warranty or applecare, which is now voided.

13. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

I didn't actually blow dry it I just point a cold fan down onto
    it for half an hour.

The water didn't eve fall *onto* the MBP, it just ran under it in a very small puddle - we're talking no more than a teaspoonful of water getting in... And only through the hinge...

When should I try turning it on again?

14. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

Tried turning it on now and it works - but I'm leaving it off to dry until the end of the day at least just in case.

15. Slarti Bartfast, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  16. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

What is it with these water damage threads??

"I spilled a glass of water... BUT IT WAS BARELY A DROP!!!"

"I blow dried it.. but i only used a fan"

what is it? Is this some sort of strange coping mechanism? As george castanza said, a lie isn't a lie if you believe it to be true.. but who wants to be like george castanza?

17. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

How about you stop drinking liquids next to your MBP. That's the only advice I have. You paid $2k or more for a piece of sensitive electronic equipment. Accidentally spilling food or drink into it is nobody's fault but your own. Don't **** up your stuff through your own carelessness. You got lucky this time, although your warranty is now 100% null and void (moisture sensors inside are tripped). Be more careful.

18. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I see from later posts that the machine now turns on. Good.

Here's my advice: Take the battery out (if yours is a model with a removable battery). Wrap the computer loosely in a brown paper bag. Put it and a full bag of uncooked white rice in a big zip-lock bag. Squeeze all air out of the zip-lock and zip it shut.

Let it sit in a warm place for several days. The rice will extract and absorb the moisture. The brown bag will prevent the rice from getting into the nooks and crannies of the computer.

It might be fine after that.

19. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

Err.. Ok I am getting a strange static/electic shock feeling when touching the MBP while on now. It's very dull but unmistakable..

Thoughts?

Thanks for the rice idea!

20. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I get that at times, it's an issue with the insulation between the casing and a casing somewhere, if you have a powered usb hub, touching the end of the usb plug and the MBP casing will give you one hell of an electric shock :p

21. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

Lmao, so shall I just ignore it? Shall I ground it by plugging it in or something?

22. Slarti Bartfast, Dec 23, 2009
  23. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

This happens when running off the battery atm. I'm in the UK yeah.

I'm using the MBP now, it's a very subtle but very odd feeling I only get when touching the metal casing. At first it feels like a dull tingle in your fingers but every now and then you get an unmistakable feeling of a very dull shock.

It's getting quite uncomfortable...

24. Slarti Bartfast, Dec 23, 2009