Water watch face on series 3..

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MisterBigMack, Oct 11, 2018.

1. MisterBigMack macrumors regular

just a quick question

I’ve noticed in all the series 4 videos and screenshots that the water and fire watch face is all around the perimeter and all around the face - looks very cool actually

But for some reason on my series 3 - it’s only in the circle - is there any reason for this? Or any way I can change it?

DD94229D-07AE-40BA-8D16-53754543F850.jpeg

2. techno-Zen macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

Get an S4

3. MisterBigMack thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant - my only solution

4. techno-Zen macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

It is though

5. Mr.C macrumors 601

That's the way it is on the series 3 and it can't be changed.

6. MisterBigMack thread starter macrumors regular

Very strange why they can’t do it on the full screen like they do on the series 4

7. OBirder macrumors 6502

OBirder

What you see in the series 3 is the full screen.

Why don't you just read some basics about the Apple Watch e.g. from the Apple page:

upload_2018-10-12_20-7-45.png

Left the Series 4 and right the series 3. Now take a round face and you can easily see the difference. It was a big selling point that the series 4 has 33% increased display.

8. gigaguy macrumors 65816

There may be some technical screen issues, or cost, or most probably it's mainly marketing which is Apple's first or maybe second best attribute.

9. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

It’s because it would look ugly on the S3 since it has a screen where the corners are 90 degrees instead of a radius that follows the curve of the case.

The purpose of the new full screen watchfaces is to highlight the beauty of the screen of the S4, not the compromises they had to make before.

10. MisterBigMack thread starter macrumors regular

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Apple could easily round off the corners of the S3 screen in software for a "fullscreen" watchface background if they wanted to. No, it wouldn't go as far off to the edge as the S4 obviously, but it wouldn't have to have your "ugly" 90 degree corners.

They simply don't want to.

And that's becoming terribly disappointing about Apple. At present, in my opinion, they see their products, famous for lasting longer than the non-Apple competition, as being an impediment for more sales. So they're artificially limiting their older products to drive sales. If they're going to do that, the benefit of buying longer useful-life Apple products is negated. So why spend the extra money? I don't think I'm going to play their game much longer.

12. tromboneaholic, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I don't think the bezel on the S3 screen is as symmetrical all the way around, so it doesn't have the same effect as on S4. It's kind of meant to highlight the strength of the screen design on the S4. On the S3, it would be drawing attention to a weakness.

Also, it's a slightly different aspect ratio, which means Apple can't just use the same assets for both.

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

So they made a round asset for the clock face? I think they have the ability to lop off an image at the edges to make it fit the screen. Like I said, they just don't want to. Of course they're using it to highlight the new screen design of the S4 watch. That's my point.

The great thing about Macs and Apple products of yesteryear was that when new software features were developed, everyone got them. Today, Apple isn't bothering to add features to their older products so as to drive sales of the new products. Products whose prices they jack up 20% annually.

Steve Jobs once said:
    What happened at Apple, to be honest, over the years was… the goal used to be to make the best computers in the world. And that was goal one. And goal two we got from Hewlett-Packard actually, which was “we have to make a profit.” Because if we don’t make a profit we can’t do goal one.
    So, yeah, I mean we enjoyed making a profit, but the purpose of making a profit was so we can make the best computers in the world. Along the way somewhere those two got reversed. ‘The goal is to make a lot of money and well, if we have to make some good computers, well OK we’ll do that because we can make a lot of money doing that.’
    And, it’s very subtle. It’s very subtle at first. But it turns out it’s everything. That one little subtle flip takes 5 years to see it, but that one little subtle flip in 5 years means everything. So we’ve put those things in their proper order again.

Guess what? I fully believe they've flipped again. And no, it's not just about the stupid watchface. It's everything taken as a whole. Doesn't mean I'm not an Apple fan. It means I want them to do better.

14. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

This is not true.

Do you own an Apple Watch? If so, you know that most of the new features that WatchOS 5 introduced are supported on all Apple Watch models.

Regarding the watch faces that Apple designed specifically for the new models, the aspect ratio is different. The screen proportions are not the same between Series 3 and Series 4.

They actually filmed these watch faces (fire, water, liquid metal, powder/smoke) using models that represented the actual screen sizes. They can't just reuse these videos as watch faces on a screen that is more rectangular (like Series 3).

15. parseckadet macrumors 65816

parseckadet

Actually they can't. One of the things that makes these particular faces that much more unique is the fact that the ripples appear to be interacting with the edge of the screen/face, bouncing off it and back toward the middle. If you just cropped off the edges or the corners, as you suggest, then the water would be interacting with something off the screen and the effect is ruined. They were able to bring the round variant to the earlier watches because the aspect ratio is no longer an issue when the face doesn't have to go edge to edge in both dimensions.

16. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I agree with you. The little "fireworks" display that appears upon completing an Activity app goal stretches all the way to the edges of earlier versions of the watch. So, the water/fire/vapor faces could have extended to the edges of the earlier watches, too.

[​IMG]

17. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

The fire, water, powder faces were filmed using actual models based on the aspect ratio and radius corners of series 4.