Water

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wazhushk, Dec 22, 2013.

1. wazhushk, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

wazhushk macrumors newbie

I dropped some water on my pro.
    The computer shut down as I was drying it.
    I took off the back cover to let air circulate .
    I'll wait a day or so before I try and fire it up.
    Are there any suggestions on what else I
    Could try. Hair dryer close moving air around maybe.

Ken

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Put it in a bag of rice, rice will draw out moisture.

Seeing as it shut down while you attempted to dry it though, it's probably shorted out and dead already.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

If it shut down on you it's almost certainly fried. RIP.

4. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Probably. The rice trick never hurts, though. I was very surprised to bring back a drenched PSP this way. It shut down and wouldn't restart after the water exposure. But a few days in rice, good as new.

The use of the word "short" in this thread is probably technically accurate, but that doesn't necessarily mean that those conditions will remain once the water has dried. A short just means that electricity has traveled across an unintended path. This does not necessarily result in permanent damage. Also, you could measure Ohm's resistance in any two random municipal water supplies in the United States and be very unlikely to get the same reading (some will create more havoc than others until dried). Pure water conducts very little electricity, but pure water is very rare.

5. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Eh, that depends on low you set the bar for the definition "rare", but let's not get into that. I was just lurking.

6. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

No, you're right. And I don't mean to imply that municipal water is somehow polluted. In fact, in the United States, municipal water must meet higher federal standards than the bottled water we buy in our stores.

Where I live, I get calcium and magnesium deposits in the bottom of my tea kettle. No worries. Those things are fine for a human body. But I don't put it in my car. I don't want those same mineral deposits in my radiator. That's more of what I mean by "pure".

Also, OP, I don't mean to get your hopes up. Just saying that rice is worth a shot. Sometimes you get lucky, like I did with the PSP.

7. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

What? Really? That's both reassuring, and not, at the same time.

8. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Don't even attempt to turn it on for at least a week, this could cause way more problems. And if it's an older model, take off the bottom plate and disconnect the battery- this will help stop corrosion, check ifixit.com for disassembly instructions. There's still a chance...