Waterdamaged Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Broken.Mac, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Broken.Mac macrumors newbie

Hi All

Thought I might try my luck and see if anybody could give me a hand..

I was lucky enough to be given an a1278 which had had coffee spilt on it. I thought I would see if I could get it working again. Was told that the repair cost would be in excess of $500 including new top/keyboard and battery.

After lots of reading, I disassembled the unit and cleaned up as much as I could with 99.7% alcohol - there was a few areas of the logic board which had some dried coffee on it! I also got a new battery and checked the magsafe connector.

After the cleanup, and a second hand battery test connector which I didn't see when disassembling the logic board, I plugged in the power and crossed my fingers... to my surprise, the power adapter was glowing green, it then booted up and got to the desktop , was I happy person!! I tested all the keys on the keyboard and mouse and those too were working...

I then noticed a few things.
    1. The battery was not being detected by the operating system. The system said that there was no battery installed.
    2. The power button doesn't work - the only way the system will shut down is to use the software option. I can hold the button down for 30 seconds with no effect. Once the system is shutdown, there is no way to restart the machine short of taking the cover off and disconnecting the battery.

One thing I have found is that this site is a goldmine of info - I think I might have solved the power switch solution (and cheap as well). I have found a cheap keyboard on Aliexpress (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-1...723150764.html) but wasn't sure if it was the correct one so if someone could take a look and let me know.

As for the battery charging problem, I have no idea - would that be a logic board problem or is it is a magsafe connector problem. I have attached both back and front pictures of the logic board so any pointers on where to start would be fanstastic.

FRONT
    [​IMG]

BACK
    [​IMG]

I also realised that the secondhand battery tester (long ribbon connnect to the side of the machine) was second hand for a reason - it was half cut near the logic board connector - would this cause the unit not to detect the battery?

So, sorry for the long winded post but thought that I had better post more information than less I know that I would need to get the new keyboard and install it but not sure what to do about the battery?

Thanks again in advance..
    (I did post this in the Unibody - No Backlight thread so mods if this is wrong, please delete if necessary :))

2. Broken.Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Update... Have ordered the keyboard and now the wait is on :)

BTW I found the onboard reset pads and might try the reset to see if that will help the operating system find the battery.

One question I have is where are the fuses on the board so I can test to see if they have tripped?

Ta

3. Broken.Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Update 2....

After reading more, I realised that the charging problem could be related to the DC IN board. I ordered a new one and installed it.

The result - the magsafe adapter still doesn't glow amber but the unit powers on and now actually detects the battery :) it won't charge but at least it now runs off the battery (residual charge left on new battery).

Small steps ...

The power button still doesn't work and the battery discharge cable still broken (I left the connector connected to the logic board). The battery appears on the toolbar with a x through it.

So, does anybody have any idea why the unit won't charge?

Ta

4. Broken.Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Spoke to soon... :(

I wanted to test the old battery to see if it was ok. Plugged it in and "no battery". Plugged in the new one hoping it was just that one, but again "no battery"

So, now just waiting for the new keyboard to see if the the SMC reset will help.....

Any ideas appreciated :)

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just so you know, I believe there are power terminals you can start this machine with by shorting them with a screw driver. I would personally give an SMC reset a shot (maybe a USB keyboard would work) and also reapply thermal paste if you did not do so during your repairs.

6. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Indeed ! :D

"You can turn it on by shorting the power-on pads with a small flathead screwdriver for a couple of seconds. The power-on pads located on the motherboard. In order to access them you’ll have to remove the bottom cover and it’s very easy."

Source: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/turn-on-macbook-pro-laptop-without-power-button-locating-power-on-pads/

7. Broken.Mac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that guys!!!

I feel like this machine is going to drive me up the wall - i tried it and now it is doing a weird boot up screen with a loading bar going across the bottom. After it finishes it then sits in a loop on a blue screen doing nothing, then the spinning wheel, then nothing ....

I have restarted it hoping that it would go back to normal but its doing it again.....HELP please, I hope i haven't stuffed it up :(