Waterfield 'Dash MacBook Sleeve' Review: Slim With Adequate Protection for 12-Inch MacBook

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Jul 3, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Since its debut in April, the new 12-inch Retina MacBook hasn't seen that much in the way of functional, protective travel cases showing up either online or in brick-and-mortar stores. Fortunately, San Francisco-based accessory manufacturer Waterfield has released not just a single travel sleeve for Apple's newest MacBook, but an entire line of bags and cases for early adopters of the device.

[​IMG]

Waterfield sent me the "Dash MacBook Sleeve" to review, and the case is covered in a black ballistic nylon outer shell but houses a plush, smooth inner liner to ensure your brand-new MacBook won't scratch or scuff while resting inside the case. The Dash's backside comes packed with a mesh netting that will hold accessories like cables and headphones, and to ensure your MacBook doesn't tumble out, there's a single elastic band attached on top.

[​IMG]

After a few days taking my MacBook around with the Dash sleeve, I barely have any big quibbles with the case. While certainly a downside for some, I found Waterfield's decision to stick to stark, bare-bones color options -- all-black or with a copper trim -- refreshing over some of the more out-there case options on the market. Notable as well, the case barely gains any thickness while housing the Retina device, retaining the 12-inch MacBook's sense of lightness even in a protected environment.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Waterfield 'Dash MacBook Sleeve' Review: Slim With Adequate Protection for 12-Inch MacBook

2. Dargoth macrumors regular

Dargoth

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

how much did they pay MR to 'review' this on the main page?

4. Marx55, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

Marx55 macrumors 68000

5. Porco, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

"Note: MacRumors received no compensation for this review. "

Seems pretty clear.

I'd like to make what probably seems an odd request for future reviews - how does it smell?

I find a lot of neoprene and nylon cases and bags really smell horrible for ages after you buy them, a couple of items I had to just get rid of. I do have a sensitive sense of smell, but this information might prove useful to others too.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

Smell is subjective. But it is kind of included in reviews as in cases where the product stinks.

7. nick42983 macrumors 6502

nick42983

Funny how they throw "ballistic nylon" in there to make it sound like it's bullet-proof. This looks OK but defeats the purpose of having a slim laptop. The best sleeve I've owned is the Built sleeve for my 13" Air: http://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-13-i...8&qid=1436118626&sr=8-8&keywords=built+sleeve When my laptop isn't in a bag or backpack its in use on a flat surface, no need for a gigantic case or sleeve. The Built sleeve is $6.99 (or $4.99 for the one with red trim!).

8. Mike Oxard, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

9. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

10. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

First of all, as I write this I distinctly remember sitting at my desk, staring at the case and trying to come up with any positives and negatives I may have missed as I finished my review. First thing I did? Sniff it, and actually, thought it smelled pretty great. Like new school supplies, if that makes any sense? Like someone else said, smell is largely subjective, but I'd be shocked if someone thought the Dash smelled awful.

Secondly, Porco Rosso ftw.

11. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502a

OneBagTravel

Am I supposed to be impressed that it's made in San Francisco? They have it on their label lol