Waterfield Designs iPhone Suede Jacket Thoughts

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by zkmusa, Sep 22, 2007.

1. zkmusa macrumors member

I just received my iPhone Suede Jacket from Waterfield Designs (they're known for their awesome sleevecases).

The case is really well made, and the suede (it's actually a very soft microfiber called ultrasuede) is very soft and nice. At first, the case felt a little too tight for the iPhone, but after using it for about a day, it loosened up just right amount. Also, the suede is a great material because it actually cleans up the smudges from the screen every time you slide the iPhone in and out of the case.

In terms of protection, this little sleeve will not protect the iPhone if you drop it, but it will protect the iPhone from the various objects you have in your pocket or purse (keys, etc).

The cost was $9, but there's a whopping $7 shipping charge. However, they really listen to their customers, so I'm hoping they'll drop the shipping charge soon enough.

If you're looking for some basic protection for your iPhone that adds no bulk, I highly recommend this case!

2. o JRoD o macrumors member

o JRoD o

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I'm pretty protective, but wanted something simple, and slim to use when I am out running errands, or playing ball. My case was also pretty tight upon arrival, but it quickly loosened up. If you're looking for a nice cheap alternative to carry your phone around, take a look at the suede jacket.

3. ocrts macrumors newbie

I agree wholeheartedly. The suede jacket is perfect for my needs. For years, I've walked around with wallet and change in my front right pocket and keys and cell phone in my front left pocket. Then, I got an iphone. No way was I going to let it jingle around with my keys unprotected. At the same time, I didn't want something that added any bulk whatsoever. Based on on-line reviews, I ordered the Waterfield Designs suede jacket. No bulk, soft, easy to get iphone in/out. And the fit is perfect (the sleeve doesn't fall off and yet it's also not too snug). As I'm fairly careful and not very clumsy, I wasn't interested in encasing my iphone in armor. And yet I believe that the suede jacket will help in the occasional fall, especially in terms of scratching.

The only drawback I've found is that in order to hear the ring easily, the iphone needs to go in upside-down which gives no access to the headphone port and could allow crud to accumulate in the dock connector. I would have been nice to add a cutout or mesh area where the iphone speaker is for this purpose. However, if you don't mind vibe instead of ring when it's in your pocket, this isn't an issue.

I would highly recommend this for someone who carries his/her iphone in a pocket or purse and is not too clumsy!

4. calvy macrumors 65816

Dang, i was loving my agent18 case until I saw this. I may order me a sleeve and only use the agent18 when I'm jogging, as this seems like it'd be a pain in the butt to listen to music with if you want to change a song (and have broken your iphone earbuds, or just hate them, like me)

5. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

even though I use a custom case for my iPhone, I have to agree Waterfield makes amazing cases. I was considering Waterfield cases if I wasn't so damn finicky that I made my own case I probably would have tried one from Waterfield.

6. imwoblin macrumors 6502

I purchased a Sena Ultraslim pouch 2 months ago and am very happy with this. The Sena originally sold for $20 delivered (pre release special) and is made of european napa leather with a velvet lining. This thing even has sound holes on the bottom for speaker output. Very nice fit and a little more heavy duty than the Waterfield. On a side note, I am a long time Waterfield customer, and asked them for a break on the ridiculous $7 freight charge and they said their was nothing they could do. I guess they need another profit stream.

Sena Cases
    http://www.senacases.com/Brands/Apple-iPhone-Cases/ULTRASLIM-POUCH

7. imwoblin macrumors 6502

Don't believe everything they tell you. My leather and velvet Sena pouch cost $4 more and it is so much more than the Waterfield (I have both) although I do like the fact that the Waterfield pouch can be used to wipe down the iPhone. I ship product everyday for my business, and $7 bucks to ship a simple pouch is excessive. I ship 5 pound packages across the country w/ Fed Ex and my charges aren't $7. It's a pure profit center for Waterfield. But hey, good for them...