WaterField Designs (sfbags) Suede Jacket review!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by intervenient, Aug 27, 2010.

1. intervenient macrumors 6502a

History: ​

Owner of iPhone 3G, and now a brand spanking new iPhone 4. I could not STAND the thickness that cases on the 3G provided, so I never used one. Needless to say, it was very scratched up by the time it met it's misery (no more forum surfing on the toilet).

So with my iPhone 4 it was decided for me that a case would be necessary. My first was the Speck CandyShell. I was impressed at first (and it's still a VERY nice case, I what Speck does), but decided that the case added a little bit too much weight, and the lip around the screen was a little too big and fraying. Bulk begone I said, and set out to find the perfect solution.

So I surfed these forums a bit, and I noticed there's quite the following of pouch users. It seems like the perfect fit: a case, but I'll also be able to use it naked. Intrigued, I clicked on a topic and first found about about the WaterField Suede Jacket. Upon noticing the price, I sent off for one. It arrived this morning, and I opened it up before I even got home.

The Review:

Design:
    While the CandyShell succeeded by being good looking, whilst offering great drop protection, the Suede Jacket looks at you sternly and says "I'm here to not be noticed", and that's exactly what it does. It's exactly what you'd expect: a black suede sleeve, with an optional pocket. That's it. Not even a WaterField logo. Nothing. However for me, that's preferable. I like the minimalist looks. It does what it needs to do, and it does it well. It's also extremely slim, so you're adding no bulk to your pocket.

I ordered mine with the pocket, and the only gripe is that the elastic could be a TAD tighter than what it is, as I am using it as a wallet. No worries though. It should hold out.

There's also a thicker version of this case that lets you use a bumper.

Build Quality:
    I'll be brief here: top notch. Not a seam to be seen, not a blemish to be witnessed. No problems here.

Protection:
    I don't mountain bike. I don't hike. I'm not a police man, a firefighter or a zoo keeper. I don't NEED a case that will protect against drop protection. I DO need a case that I can throw in my pocket and not worrying about scratching, and that's where the Suede Jacket shines. Just slip it in, and you have absolutely nothing to worry. Perfect.

Bonus:

I'll bullet point these.
    * American made: Made and sold in America. Gotta support the home team (well, you know, for us Americans)
    * Pocket (optional): Don't be cheap and get the pocket for $4. It's awesome. It's replaced my wallet. You can also use it for a charger cable, or earphones, or whatever neat trinkets you'd like.
    * The Suede: I used to carry around a small suede cloth to clean my screen. Not any more. Putting in and taking out your phone instantly cleans the screen. Sweet.
    * Naked: You get to show off your slim and sexy iPhone 4. 'nuff said.
    * Customer Service: This company is so personable and helpful. They make up the price of the case (which is cheap, $10) almost completely with their amazing CS.

Pictures:​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Verdict:​

If you're not working a job that requires a lot of movement, and want minimalistic protection (psst, that's like 80% of you guys), I cannot recommend this case highly enough. What are you waiting for, for $10 it's a no brainer.

2. cvd macrumors member

I second this--I've tried Bumpers, cheap snap cases, and slider cases, and none of these have done it for me. I bought the suede jacket and have been pleased with it. I just slide it on before going out and don't have to worry about scratching my phone to hell, and when I'm using my phone at home I have a clean, beautiful phone without any sticky skins or such.

I'm very seriously considering the Smart Case for traveling, as it looks great as well. SFBags (WaterField) really is a quality company and just like the op, I highly suggest them to anyone who wants protection without a bulky case.

3. dagored macrumors 65816

I have both. You won't be sorry. For everyday, the Smart Case is perfect and great protection.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

Their suede jacket for bumper is too tight. The fit does not account for the grippy nature of a bumper. Putting it on the phone is a hassle.

5. dagored macrumors 65816

Use it a while. Its will stretch a little and slide on easily.

6. AC202 macrumors member

I'm interested, but shipping to Canada is pricy! Damn, we always get the short end of the stick... Anywhere I can get it for cheaper shipping?

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

It's a favor to others to cease spreading the "case will stretch" suggestion because it does not stretch. I have used the case for a sufficient time period. I even cut a small hole in the opposite end to buttress air displacement in the attempt to reduce the struggle. By the way, if you put skins on the front and back of the iPhone4, then the hassle to slide the case on doubles.

The slip case made for the bumper-less iPhone4 works well with the bumper-less phone because the phone is slippery.

8. dagored macrumors 65816

Then mine is defective. It slides in and out with the bumper on with little effort.
    Contact Gary, I am sure he would be glad to help.

9. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I wish they offered the iPhone 4 Smart Case in all black, I don't really like the brown leather. I emailed them about it and they said new designs are possible. This Suede Jacket looks good for the price. I really like the pocket both cases offer, which is my main attraction. Just keep headphones and maybe a battery pack in there and you've got everything you need.

10. Hollow Man macrumors regular

Hollow Man

I love my suede jacket. I have the one without the pocket, sans bumper. The fact that it doubles as a cleaning cloth is a bonus. Highly recommended.

-HM

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

Mentioning that the case stretches is as bogus as saying that your bumpered phone slides in and out easily.

12. dagored macrumors 65816

If you say so.

13. intervenient thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just an update: after trying several different cases, including the beloved PixelSkin HD (and the Incipio NGP series, Incase Slider, SwitchEasy Nude, etc), my Waterfield bag still beats them all. I like that it's safe from debris in my pocket (especially around the sides: every case with a lip will trap in dust, don't try and disprove me), and like it covers all sides from scratching in my pocket. Also, I feel that even the thinnest case adds to much girth to comfortably hold the phone, and that naked is the way to go (despite it's razor sharpness)

Cheers all.

14. nivekr11 macrumors regular

I have one. When I was on vacation, I lost it. I had to over night a new one. I used it with a Switcheasy Nude and now my SGP Ultra Slider fits perfect in it.