Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
I've read several threads talking about the different MBP cases, people's thoughts/recommendations, etc ... Anyway, I've decided on the WaterField Sleeve Case, so I'm not here to figure out which case I should get. With so many options available on the WF Sleeve Case, I'm here to figure out which ones to get.

Do people get the flap?

What about the pouch? Is it necessary in order to carry such things as the charger, mouse, flash drive, etc?

Any input is appreciated!

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
I've read several threads talking about the different MBP cases, people's thoughts/recommendations, etc ... Anyway, I've decided on the WaterField Sleeve Case, so I'm not here to figure out which case I should get. With so many options available on the WF Sleeve Case, I'm here to figure out which ones to get.

Do people get the flap?

What about the pouch? Is it necessary in order to carry such things as the charger, mouse, flash drive, etc?

Any input is appreciated!

Hey! I love my waterfield sleeve; how you accessorize it depends on what you intend to do with it. I just use mine inside a backpack so i got the basic, no-frills sleeve and it is great. I have a 5 year old one for my 17" HP Pavilion (that looks as good as the day I got it) and one for my MBP.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
I'll most likely use mine to travel with, so I'll probably get the flap. Is the pouch needed in order to carry accessories like a charger, mouse, etc?

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
I got mine about a year ago, and I bought the basic sleevecase in vertical orientation for my backpack. I thought about getting the flap, but after talking with them on the phone, they assured me the velcro strap without flap is ideal for backpacks. They included a personalized note with my purchase, and the sleevecase is holding up great, looks perfect still.
I think their service is great, and its incredible how you can customize the product. Then even without the flap, my macbook still protected near its exposed edge, just not quite as much as if I had gotten the flap.

I'll most likely use mine to travel with, so I'll probably get the flap. Is the pouch needed in order to carry accessories like a charger, mouse, etc?

The pocket on the sleevecase is not large enough for a charger, but it may hold a small mouse. You really should either use the sleevecase with another bag or as you wondered, purchase the accessories pouch. More than likely, you will want to use another bag.

Xombie11

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
I'm thinking of getting the fully decked out one (flap, rings, strap, pouch). I can't decide whether to get the horizontal or vertical orientation. I'm planning on getting a backpack for college (although a messenger bag is still and option) yet also plan to carry it aroun strapped around my shoulder when I dont need my backpack. Any ideas?

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
I'm thinking of getting the fully decked out one (flap, rings, strap, pouch). I can't decide whether to get the horizontal or vertical orientation. I'm planning on getting a backpack for college (although a messenger bag is still and option) yet also plan to carry it aroun strapped around my shoulder when I dont need my backpack. Any ideas?

When traveling, I'll occasionally put my sleeve case in my book bad. However, I don't know that there's a difference between getting the vertical/horizontal case. The horizontal and vertical are the same size, right? With that in mind, I'll just put the horizontal sleeve in a vertical fashion when I do put it in my book bag. I mean the MBP isn't going anywhere once it's in the case and my book bag.

The majority of the time, though, I'll just be using the case to carry it around and I like the horizontal look. So from my point of view, the horizontal is the best of both worlds - looks good on its own and can fit in a book bag when it needs to.

I guess it all comes down to preference ...

RedRaven571

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2009
Pennsylvania
I can't decide whether to get the horizontal or vertical orientation. I'm planning on getting a backpack for college (although a messenger bag is still and option) yet also plan to carry it aroun strapped around my shoulder when I dont need my backpack. Any ideas?

I've done both, the one for the 17" HP was horizontal and the one for my MBP is vertical; if you are carrying in a backpack, the vertical works best since you don't need to completely remove the sleeve from the backpack to get out your laptop.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I ordered a vertical sleeve case with flap and strap a few days ago and it is coming in today. I got it with their VertiGo bag so I will let you know how it is once it arrives :D

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I just got my vertical Sleeve Case, and it is realy nice. Mine has the flap, drings and strap so I can use it on its own if I just need a laptop.

The vertical orientation is a little strange because I have only used horizontal messenger bags. The case can fit the laptop plus the charger in the side pocket, although the charger bulges out a little bit since the side pocket is not very wide. It fits an iPad pretty nicely though. An Apple mouse like the Mighty or Magic mouse would fit fine as they are not very tall. Taller mice might not fit in the outside pocket because as I said the width of the charger is almost too much. A flash drive fits easily, but there are no smaller pockets so it would probably fall to the bottom.

As for the flap, I think it is nice if you are going to be using the sleeve case as a bag on its own. It would be good if you get caught in the rain because without it your laptop will be exposed. If you are just going to use it in another bag I would probably not get the flap.I found that I can just leave the flap folded back while I have it in the VertiGo, that way I can just pull my laptop out without having to pull the sleeve out.

So those are my first impressions, I definitely like the case and bag both are made of some high quality nylon.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I have several Waterfield sleeve cases. I always order the same design: horizontal (for use in briefcases), flap, D-rings, and strap. Even without a strap attached, the D-rings are handy for pulling the case out of the briefcase. The flap provides extra protection against spills, etc. They are really well-made, and the company is great to deal with.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
I have several Waterfield sleeve cases. I always order the same design: horizontal (for use in briefcases), flap, D-rings, and strap. Even without a strap attached, the D-rings are handy for pulling the case out of the briefcase. The flap provides extra protection against spills, etc. They are really well-made, and the company is great to deal with.

Just out of curiosity, which strap do you get? Do you get the pouch?

dmarcus48

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
Central NJ
wow, i've been looking for a case/sleeve/pouch to protect my new baby. This looks like it might be the one! Just what I need something ELSE to spend money on!

LOL

Dave

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I always get these. They are awesome. They never show any wear of any kind - really quite amazing. I got my first one without flap and my second with. With flap is way better for protection in a bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.