Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericmachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Hi all,

Is there any software/settings which I could install on all my Mac computers (mostly on El capitan and yosemite). So when they tried to copy files to a thumb drive/hard disk or even print out, it will watermark my company's logo in all documents (PDF, DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, images, etc). I have seen a company doing it, but not sure what he used. I know for sure, he's using a mac. Any idea what software he used? I don't really know him.

Note: We do store files in google drive and dropbox. A bit concern people leaking our company files. If leaked out, would prefer to show watermark or best even the person's mac name on the document itself.

Any help? Thanks.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
No as it is simply a completely impossible task to do. Software cannot see the difference between legal and illegal use of these files. Watermarking can be done when you use some software for exporting documents which has this feature and when using software to print documents. That's probably what you've seen the other company do. They probably use some PDF printer that adds a watermark to the files. When using a Mac this is something you can do with Automator and it has been discussed on the MacRumors forums before.

There will always be enough ways to circumvent these, so much so that it completely renders trying to prevent this as utterly useless. You need to solve this differently, mostly via contract and actively going after people breaching your IP. Using local storage with strict rights on groups and users would be another thing to use. This is something that is also part of a standard like ISO 27001 (which is about computer security).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.