Watermark question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CrackedButter, Apr 27, 2010.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Okay I created a watermark in Photoshop, transparent background and its just text with a drop shadow. I've flattened the image and modified the exporting of images at 640x480 to include said watermark.

When they come out the Watermark is in a white box which was the transparent background in Photoshop like in the image shown.

I might not want the white box in the future and I can't seem to be able to remove it. Sure a white box for my watermark is okay, but curiosity is causing me to post this, at least I know how to remove it if somebody points to my error.

Thanks.

P.S. the original PSD file was also 640x480 and the font size is 72dpi.

Attached Files:

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Don't flatten - use "merge visible". And of course be sure you're exporting it in a format (e.g. PNG) that can handle transparency.

Of course since the watermark is not a stand-alone product, so to speak, you can also just save it in Photoshop's .psd form.

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Done as you suggested but that still hasn't made a difference. :-(
    I know I've missed something very simple as well here.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Would it be possible for you to post a link to the PSD file of your watermark?

5. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Sure, but I'll check out the link first so I don't waste people's time.

EDIT: Here is the file. The link above is about how to create a Watermark, not how to remove the white box from Aperture once transferred over.

Attached Files:

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

These were created in your pixel size and font point of 72. I saved them as seperate docs instead of exporting them. I just used drag and drop to place them on your photo. The two at the top are .png files and the lower one is a .tiff.

I edited it to include the watermark you just posted. I know it's drag and drop in PhotoShop and I think you are working with Aperture.

Dale

Attached Files:

7. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Okay I see a problem here, I didn't establish clearly from the beginning that I had wanted to include this Watermark in the exporting of images out from Aperture.

So yes, I am working on Aperture 3, why does Aperture include the white box. Tutorials online on youtube that I've followed don't have them. :-(

8. vizfxman macrumors regular

Silly question here... and sorry if this is completely silly...

Is the image you have set in Aperture to use as the watermark a .png (or transparency handling image)? I also believe there's a setting for opacity in Aperture for a watermark image that has transparency.

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Okay, I didn't have the same problem when I started from your .psd file (thanks for posting that btw). It's not a great image, and it's not a good match for that particular watermark, but that's beside the point.

[​IMG]

Here's the steps I followed.

1. I loaded your PSD into Photoshop to verify that it indeed had a transparent background (which it does)
    2. I used "Save as..." to save a copy of your watermark as a PNG with a transparent background
    3. In Aperture I selected "Export -> Version"
    4. From the list of presets I selected "Edit..."
    5. I created a new export preset using that new PNG as a watermark (at 100% opacity)
    6. There is no step 6

10. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

YES!

Thank, you now it all works out fine. I realised my error, I was saving the watermark over the top of the jpeg even though the watermark is a png. I take it there are no transparency with jpgs?

Thank you everyone.

Attached Files:

11. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Yup, JPEG doesn't allow for transparency. And GIF only has one level of transparency - either fully transparent or not at all. PNG allows for 256 (?) levels of transparency/opacity.