Waterproof advice please...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by brudog68, Feb 26, 2012.

1. brudog68 macrumors 6502

Looking for a waterproof case that :

1. Is easy to take on and off
    2. Is good for pictures and video (also underwater)
    3. Easily hangs from a lanyard
    4. Is not a more permanent case like Lifeproof etc as I will use my smaller "everyday" case most often
    5. Reasonably priced $50 range

I do a lot of flyfishing and coach my sons little league baseball, so I'm needing this for quick access for pics and videos in bad weather and occasionally underwater, and also not too concerned about drop protection.

I've found several online that may fit the bill...Krusell, Aqua Box, Innopocket, iSeal...so I'm not really looking for suggestions as much as first hand experience with any of these or ones I may not be aware of...

Thanks in advance...

2. techdude6693 macrumors 6502

Take a look at Liquipel. Its sort of an invisible shield that goes on your phone but its really thin, so you can use cases with it. Only thing is you have to send it to them but it waterproofs your phone completely. It is like $70 when you include shipping though :/

http://www.liquipel.com/

3. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

4. brudog68 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've seen the liquipel videos and although quite impressive, I can't afford to be without my phone, and I would still feel the need for a waterproof case if the phone was to be submerged, therefore my total cost would be above $100... Thanks for the suggestion though...

Really looking for first hand experience with a quick cheap solution...

5. cbmstocks macrumors member

6. dirtbikng8 macrumors newbie

+1

7. brudog68 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is that the best you got?

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

9. brudog68 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've used zip locks from day one on lesser phones, but not about to submerge an iPhone trusted to a sandwich bag, lol...

These are good options, but again, has anyone actually used any of these and can attest to the picture quality and performance of the case/ bag?

10. Mikesus macrumors 6502

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2lwPje6ktc

skip to 1:07

do not trust your phone to a sandwich bag.

----------

lifeproof is still prob the best for what you want to do... Its not that much bigger than the phone.

11. brudog68 thread starter macrumors 6502

I realize Lifeproof is a great case and solution but I discounted Lifeproof as an option due to price and no lanyard...

Does anyone actually read the OP? Lol

12. alFR macrumors 68020

13. cbmstocks macrumors member

it was more of a joke than anything to be honest with you. i'm sure it would work well for a rainy day but i don't even trust ziplocks for my sandwiches in a cooler.
    if the only reason you don't want a lifeproof is because of the price then you may want to reevaluate how much a waterproof phone means to you. putting a lanyard on a lifeproof is simply a matter of drilling a hole in the indentation on the front either near the speaker or the mic. possibly on the volume guards also.

it's pretty easy to take off and put back on though. i think you'd be surprised how small the case is on the phone and may not even take it off.

14. iPodiPad macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Aquabox (around $25-30$)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004JL7V8A/ref=mp_s_a_4?qid=1330308701&sr=8-4

15. brudog68 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not just the cost of Lifeproof, it's more about the fact I just don't need anything that good or advanced, plus the lack of lanyard...I'd also hate to risk the integrity of the case by trying to drill anything,lol

However I did read Lifeproof is working on compatible lanyards, just not to market yet...FYI.

So far I'm thinking thismay do the trick for me...

Thanks for everyone's replies