WaterProof Apple Watch Sport 42

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by d112, Jun 15, 2015.

1. d112 macrumors member

I wanne swim with my apple watch sport, and watch my hand with it. Is there anych chance that my Apple Watch will destroy. Is it waterproof ?

2. meikdunj macrumors member

It's not waterproof. Check the user guide it doesn't recommend swimming.

3. d112 thread starter macrumors member

If I buy apple care+, than I can get the new one if something happends, Am I right ?

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Not if you intentionally damage it.

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Went to water parks twice in the last week with no issue. Not saying its what you're supposed to do but it had no issues.

6. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

No

7. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

http://www.macworld.com/article/292...to-extreme-water-submersion-in-new-tests.html

You should be fine, but if you're using it to track fitness, there's no point.

Personally, I'm going to risk it. My pool time is lounging, not heavy swimming. I doubt I'll have a problem with some occasional splashes or dunks. If it does end up destroyed, I guess I'm out $70, and I'll be more careful with the next one. I highly doubt I'll have a problem though.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

There is no such thing as a 'waterproof' watch. Watch's have water ratings and the :apple:Watch is 'waterproof' rated and therefor warranted to the IPx7 standard. However it has been proven over and over that Apple has been extremely conservative with this rating.

Check out these informative videos:

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Source?

10. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

Uh... Apple literally states that you're not supposed to swim with it. When it gets damaged and trips the water sensors, you're not getting a free replacement.

11. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

AppleCare+ covers accidental damage. So, yeah, they'd replace it if it's water damaged. There's no way for Apple to know if you intentionally swam in it or were pushed into the pool while wearing it.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

There are no water sensors. You are thinking of the iPhone. The :apple:Watch is IPx7 water rated by Apple. If it gets water ingress then Apple MUST replace it under warranty since it is IPx7 'waterproof' rated. This is standard watch industry operating procedure.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The Watch is advertised and sold with an IPX7 rating (waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes). If it suffers water ingress due to a manufacturing defect during, say, normal hand washing, you can bet you'll get a free replacement.

On the other hand, if you admit you went deep diving with it and it fails then they of course won't replace it as that's outside the scope of the IPX7 rating.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Just to clear up confusing post.

Water damage will be covered. Just do not go into the store advertising you took it swimming.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

what this man said.

16. d112 thread starter macrumors member

Using Apple Care I can replace my watch twice, right ?

17. LewisChapman macrumors 6502a

LewisChapman

However if you go deep diving and claim that you were washing your hands then how would they know any different?

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Maybe Apple can see that the seal was blown out from pressure? I doubt it though.

I would think that after a few years the seals, especially around the rotating crown would need replacing to maintain the water resistant rating.

19. Gator Bob macrumors regular

Does the poster's question make anyone else queasy?

20. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

While a little hard to read I'm betting the OP is not a native English speaker. Does it make you queasy trying to read it?

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

After a few years all :apple:Watches will be in landfills or the back of a draw. :D Who will be using a original :apple:Watch when the 3ed or 4th gen come out?:eek:

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They won't know if you keep quiet about it. However, if you volunteer that you went deep diving with it, they may refuse to replace it under the standard warranty given that it's beyond the scope of the IPX7 rating.

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I agree and can not wait for the AWII this Christmas!;)

I just ordered my 2nd AW the stainless with brown leather loop. It will do till the holidays.

24. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

Is it really that hard to just not take it swimming?

Apple Care or any insurance program (and product pricing) will continue to rise due to people constantly trying to "break the rules" even if you can get away with it.

I wish people would have some integrity. :(

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Hence why Apple jacked up the cost of iPhone AC deductible to $79 from $49 and the out-of-warranty replacement cost to $299/$329 from originally $179 (I think), a much bigger increase relative to the rising component cost over the years.

The same will happen with the Watch. People reap what they sow.