Waterproof Camera Suggestions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Les Kern, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Does anyone have first hand experience using a waterproof camera like the Canon D10 or have any suggestions? A freind is looking for a midrange priced unit for use on a trip/cruise that is wanted primarily to take good pictures. I have read some reviews and like the looks of the Panasonic TS2S and the Sony DSC-TX5. I personally wouldn't mind having the Panasonic, but I know little about this category of cameras.
    Thanks

2. mtnbikemama macrumors member

I have the Olympus Stylus Tough 6000. I absolutely love it. I take it everywhere that I don't want to take my expensive Nikon DSLR. I am pleasantly surprised by the pictures this little camera takes. A friend of mine bought the Fuji waterproof camera and was very disappointed. The pictures were not good at all. (Everything seemed to have a slight green tinge to it.) She returned it and bought an Olympus. I hope this helps! I have no experience with the Panasonic waterproof. I bought the Olympus because it was shockproof as well waterproof.

3. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

A little old, but still helpful:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

It doesn't include the TX5, which is what I'd probably get if I were in the market for this type of camera.

I have a Tough series camera (the 770SW - before the line was rebranded) and like it for its compactness and durability, but hate its handling and picture quality. From what I can tell, it hasn't greatly improved with the newer versions.

4. StrudelTurnover macrumors regular

I recently tried out the Pentax Optio W90. Pretty happy with it. It certainly felt better to use underwater than any metallic body with no bumpers. And it is a general rugged environment camera, though the limit of -10 degrees C doesn't really count for much in my part of the country. But there's only so much you can do about insulating small batteries. My other P&S is a Pentax too, and having all the same batteries is nice.

I'm also fairly happy (for the money) with DicaPac soft cases. I have no justification for a custom hard case, so there are bags to fit all sizes.
    http://www.dicapac.com/new_eng/02_products/sub03.html
    But my own cardinal rule is I would never submerge my best camera underwater.

Fun promo video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg4N3cWONsU

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I have the Sony DSC-TX5. It is fantastic. We use it all the time, indoors, outdoors, beach, pool, waterpark. Photos come out great, hd video is really nice (even underwater). Highly recommend it.

6. jamesyd macrumors newbie

I have a Panasonic Z53, and use the Panasonic DMW-MCTZ7 marine case when I take it to go scuba diving. I'm very happy with both Z53 (although, of course, I'd buy a later model if I were to get it now) and the marine case. I haven't had any leakage issues, although I have had trouble with temporary fogging twice, even using the supplied silica packs. If you plan on diving, instead of just snorkeling, you will need to get a marine case, even if you go with a camera that is waterproof on the surface.

One thing to think of, though: every time you replace your camera—even if it's just upgrading from one Panasonic model to its successor—you'll likely have to buy a new marine case too, since the measurements of the cameras do seem to change. I've had some modest luck selling old housings on eBay, but certainly not enough to make up the difference. Now every time I buy a new camera, I essentially calculate that I'm buying two, since the housings aren't exactly cheap, even if they're just plastic.

7. smitty078 macrumors member

It's no longer a current model but I have an Olympus Stylus 1050sw and it is BY FAR the best digital camera I have used PERIOD (waterproof or otherwise). I highly highly recommend it. I'm sure any of Olympus' current offerings are equally great. I have used it underwater, at the beach and all over the place and it takes fantastic pictures. It is also TOUGH... I have banged it into rocks, dropped it, gotten it covered in sand and I have never had any issue with it all.

8. pprior macrumors 65816

I bought a D10 before a vacation to hawaii last year. We also bought an S90 for my wife to use as a P&S and I also brought my 1d series canon.

The D10 took nice pictures underwater and was a real treat to be able to take to the beach or whereever and not worry about getting wet. In the "dry" however the pictures had significant vignetting and were clearly less contrasty than the s90 (which took pretty darn good pictures actually, shot in RAW).

If you're serious about underwater photography then spend the money to get a waterproof housing for a higher quality camera. However for vacation fun shots it's hard to beat the d10 IMO for ease of use. It also does video. We've used it on rafting trips and other places, it's a fun toy to take snapshots, but not a serious photographer tool.

9. Les Kern thread starter macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Thanks for the EXCELLENT input. I passed the thread on to my friend, and she thanks you as well.

10. hmbalmer macrumors newbie

Can you tell me if the Canon D10 is easy to upload pictures to a Mac? I don't know how to "fix" a camera that is testy with Macs to make them work. I like to plug it in and have it go straight to iPhoto. Is this how the D10 is? I can't find any information about computer compatibility on the camera. Thanks for any input.

11. mzlin macrumors member

Kodak Easyshare Sport C123 12MP waterproof to 10ft $80 on amazon

12. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

No such problem exists. The camera will work the same on all versions of OS X and windows. Whether iPhoto opens automagically is a preferences setting, or you can click the mouse and open it yourself. Either way, any modern camera will have no issues.

I used the D10 and thought it did a fantastic job.

13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

not available yet (at least I thought it comes out in march) and no optical zoom. but a great price for something that might get lost in the ocean (it would suck to lose a $300 sony)

14. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

What about the Pentax Optio W90 (or the previous model W80)? Waterproof up to 20 ft.

15. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

My wife has one of the Pentax Optima cameras. She took it down too deep and broke it. She sent it to Pentax and they replaced the camera with no questions.

Dale