Waterproof Case for Mac Book Air 11"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by james*b, May 27, 2013.

1. james*b macrumors regular

Hi
    I am looking for a waterproof case for an 11" mac book air. Anyone have any experience?
    I am not looking to take the mac book diving, but I would like it to be as close to monsoon protected as possible..
    Thanks in advance,

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Well you might me able to find one where you can put it in when not using it. To protect it then. But you can forget a case thats waterproof and still allows you to open and use the air. Not possible.
    Maybe build you own. A case where you can slide the air into when its open. Then again its terribly impractical lugging such a case around :p

Look into HP toughbooks or something :D

3. james*b thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks - sorry yes, I am not planning on actually using it in a torrential downpour - I would just like to know that it is safe in my bag even if everything else is drenched.

Any suggestions!?

4. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

did you try googling it or looking on amazon? a quick google search for waterproof macbook air case came back with some hits.

the only time i'm at risk of rain is on my bike, and my pannier is largely water resistant, and has a rain-cover. plus my mba is in a sleeve so it's reasonably well protected from even heavy rain.

i think basic precautions go a long way...i have been stuck in the rain a time or two with a laptop and just a neoprene sleeve and it was fine.

5. The-Pro macrumors 65816

a bug zipper back would do, around your air in the case

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

An hard case will add bulk and weight. A freezer Ziplock should give you the protection, adds no bulk and cheap.

7. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Take a look at this one. It may work depending on how much you want to spend. Pelican is well know for providing water sealed cases to multidisciplines. If not large enough Pelican make larger sizes.

8. Ifti macrumors 68000

Why not just wrap it in a sealed plastic bag before placing it in your backpack?

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I think the huge gallon ziplock might do the trick.
    Just shut it down so it wont wake up on accident and suffocate in closed space.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Is this a one-time occurrence (taking the MBA to the beach for a weekend) or every-day just in case scenarios?

If one-time or infrequent, the ziplock bag is a good idea, and you can buy dry sacks from camping stores that do the same thing. If it's an every day thing, then you'll want a nice case like a Pelican.