Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Waterproof case or disposable camera?

Go with a $40 DryCase

I originally bought one for a a trip to Hawaii and I was able to take fantastic underwater photos and video with my iPhone and upload them immediately. Here's a video I edited that was taken using the case (at the end where you hear sound I'm not using it). The only real downside is that sound is largely gone because of how the case works (why vacuum). They have waterproof earbuds/mic for $40 though.

http://youtu.be/DNMMmnBTU10

It's a fantastic case because it's the only one where depth is only a matter of crush depth, which you won't be going to. It has no real max fail depth. It will NEVER leak and you'll know that because you evacuate the air before you ever get it in the water. If it's leaking it'll blow back up before you dunk it.

There's a story where a guy lost his in a lake for one month. When it was found the phone charged back up and turned on, no issues.

It's cheap ($30-$40 IIRC) and has a lanyard and neoprene floating armband you can use, or not and fits multiple smartphones as it's not designed for any one design.

I've used it in the water many times since that trip and it's yet to fail.

Last edited:

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Sorry to bump such an old thread.
Vacation is getting near and I wanted to come back and see the suggested cameras.

I'd really really like to buy a LifeProof case and just bring my 6 but honestly, I can't take that chance. Leave it up to me to get that faulty case and ruin my brand new iPhone.

My plan was buy a disposable camera like this and be done. Then it hit me that I also needed to take video.

<this is where the iPhone comes in handy, LOL>:p

Anyway, now I'm between the disposable camera and this Panny getting good reviews. Has both pics and video but I just can' justify the cost on a camera I'll use maybe once a year... if that. And I still need to buy the sd card too, LOL.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

Edit: Can a mod please move this to the proper forum. I think it should be in accessories. Thanks.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Why not try buying something used? If it's just for one trip, you can save a ton of money that way.

I have a kodak z something or other camera that is waterproof and shoots up to 720p video. It worked rather well and we recorded a ton on it. Mostly did mud runs and such. It's also very durable.

I think at the end of the day you are going to drop $100-something on a device if you want it to take video. Your other option might be to just buy Apple Care and return it when you get back home.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Another option is you could just get an Xperia and then swap your sim from the iPhone into the Xperia whenever you are near or in water, or if it might rain. Then when you're back in dry conditions you can just put the chip back in your iPhone.

xperia-z3-compact-dive-into-new-experiences-1472595edb11caf39b8215b46cafaf8f-940.jpg

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
AppleCare+ and a waterproof bag perhaps. I would not bother with disposable cameras. IMHO, they are not worth the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.