Waterproof cases...Tell me 'bout yours.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by borgqueenx, Jan 3, 2012.

1. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Well, ive done ALOT of research the last few days, and im focussing on the cons.
    The way i look at all the waterproof cases around is that they come with one big con: its a gamble.
    Many reviews are positive about several cases but some of them say they leak, or will leak quickly.
    Take the most expensive of them all, the lifeproof....It can be maximum used about 100 times then you can throw it away...wtf man....thats just unacceptable. especially when some reviews say its even not trustable anymore after 5 times of reopening.

Here are the 2 best ive found, according to reviews, least bad reviews and ****...
    -iDry.
    -Crycase.

Both very different from each other though. And the crycase and idry also got some bad reviews...

I guess its a gamble...But what id like to hear is people who use one of these products the whole time to make underwater photos, listen tunes while swimming ect.
    Im a swimmer as hobby and would like a waterproof case.
    Will probaly buy one of the two mentioned above if someone cant recommend me something better.

2. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

The only waterproof case brand that I've ever used [and they gained my undying loyalty] is AquaPac.

I have one Large Whanganui for my dad's iPad, and it still holds extremely well. Never had an issue with it.

Now for the funny part, this is where AquaPac recieved my loyalty forever, oh and disclaimer, I'm a clumsy fool every now and then. Went fishing with the family and my ex went with us. Had my 3GS in a Mini Whanganui to avoid any water splash... Anyways, was putting the phone away and it flew out of my hand as we hit a wave just right... long story short, the plastic top, which is the seal, hit the propeller on the engine, cracked that thing like a walnut.

e-mailed AquaPac with pictures just to show the hell it went through [all while somehow not tripping the water sensors on the phone :D], a praise email, nothing more.

No response or anything [didn't really expect one], then two weeks later, a box from the UK, with a bunch of USPS stickers and what not, label was drenched etc.... they actually covered over seas postage and sent me another one for free.

When it comes to waterproofing electronics.. I'm an AquaPac fanboy :p

3. davidra macrumors 6502

I'd love to find any kind of gasketed system that lasts forever. Please let me know if you find one. The Lifeproof case isn't made to be taken off multiple times; there's no reason to. Although I'm on the water most weekends, I have no problem at all with the case for everyday use. It is the least bulky and intrusive case I've seen anywhere. Well worth the money.

I used an Aquapac for my previous phone...works great except it's bulky, and you lose the use of one of the 4s's best features: the camera. Totally different concept. Both provide protection, but you give up a lot to use the Aquapac.

4. borgqueenx thread starter macrumors 65816

a pro for the idry is i guess it is a bit more rugged.
    I think the drycase cant really have much before the case breaks.

5. solo118 macrumors 65816

Can you actually take photos underwater with the Lifeproof case? I am going on vacation soon, and interested in purchasing this case so I do not have to worry about it being stolen while I am in the water etc.

6. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Yes you can take pictures under water with lifeproof.

7. maliu macrumors 6502a

You do have to use the volume buttons to do so. The screen does not work under water. Water acts like one large finger.

8. Slayter36 macrumors newbie

9. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Lifeproof looks like a good option, that is what I would probably go for if I got a case of that type.