Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaredlipsitz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Does anybody use waterproof earphones to listen to music whilst swimming with their AW2? I'm thinking of getting a pair but struggling to find a recommended pair.

Any assistance?

CVC

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
Southern California
Unfortunately Bluetooth doesn't work underwater. Bluetooth signals can't pass through water. Waterproof Bluetooth earphones are designed for situations where they would get wet, but not used underwater such as kayaking or running in the rain. All the earphones designed for swimming have a built-in MP3 player or a waterproofed iPod that clips on.

Last edited:

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Unfortunately Bluetooth doesn't work underwater. Bluetooth signals can't pass through water. Waterproof Bluetooth earphones are designed for situations where they would get wet, but not used underwater such as kayaking or running in the rain. All the earphones designed for swimming have a built-in MP3 player or a waterproofed iPod that clips on.
Good point

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I do a decent amount of lane swimming, and at times I get bored on longer swims. Was looking on and off for a while for some method of listening to music while swimming. I ended up testing out one of those waterproofed iPod shuffles with wired in ear earphones. It seems to do the trick, iPod clips onto the back of my goggles, and the cord for the earphones are short and have tips that tend to do a good job of keeping a watertight seal in the ear. Once in a while one of my ears would get water in and the sound is useless at that point.

I’d love some sort of wireless waterproof buds that could connect to the watch, but with water any RF is probably a lost cause. I’ve kept an eye on the Bragi Dash since last year as they’re wireless in ear buds, they’re waterproof, and they can store audio files on the buds themselves for swimming.

andysmith1977

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2018
Penang
Bluetooth isn't that effective underwater and you'll get a lot of disconnection and so not make it a great listening experience. Many of the so called "waterproof" earbuds are more like sweat resistance. Check out the IP ratings (stands for Ingress Protection) of any earbuds as this will tell you degree of protection against what could enter and cause harm, such as objects, dust, and water.

Re: https://www.headphonesbuyer.com/best-waterproof-bluetooth-headphones/

Personally I am a massive fan of the jaybirds run but for running and not swimming :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.