Waterproof iPhone 4 case for every day use?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by n4ows, Jul 2, 2011.

1. n4ows, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

n4ows macrumors newbie

I'm looking for an iPhone 4 case for every day use. Basically what I want is a waterproof/dust proof/shock protected case that I can leave on all the time and I don't have remove the case to plug something into it.

My last 3 phones have been Casios which are built to military specs. i.e. I can get it wet, dirty, or drop it and the phone still works. I have dropped in in water where it was completely submerged by accident and it be perfectly fine. I have horses and thus spend a lot of time in a very dirty and potentially wet environment. I've been thinking of getting an iPhone 4, but would like to have a case to protect it. I've searched online for different waterproof cases. Also, I drop my phone a lot so the shock protection is really important.

The one that most seems to be for every day use is the one at the Kim Komando store (p-1252-heavy-duty-iphone-case.), but it seems a little bulky. I believe this is the Griffin Survivor case. The thing that reminds me of my current phone is that it has sealed ports, so that you can access the ports without removing the case. But, it does not claim to be waterproof, that I couldn't drop it in a water trough and it survive. Just that it can get splashed with water or survive me getting caught outside in a rain storm.

I've also been to sites on the LifeProof case and the Amphibian case. The waterproof feature for the Amphibian case does not seem to be for everyday use. The LifeProof case seems a little pricey, but worth it if it works.

So, does the case that I am looking for exist? One that is a waterproof/dust proof/shock protected that I can leave on all the time and I don't have remove the case to plug something into it?

Thanks,
    alisa

2. n4ows thread starter macrumors newbie

I went ahead and ordered an OtterBox Defender case and did a pre-order on a LifeProof case. The OtterBox seems to be somewhat water resistant in that the ports are covered, but not a bulky as the Griffin case. By the time my number comes up on the LifeProof case, there should be enough of them out there to decide whether I want to spend the additional $70 for that case. I figure if I love the LifeProof case, I can always sell the OtterBox on eBay and at least get a little of my money back.

thanks,
    alisa

3. n4ows thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason for my search for a waterproof case was that I had my iPhone sitting on my console and stopped short. My phone went into my cup of water about 1" earplug end. Turned it off and did the bag of rice thing as soon as I could get to the store to get rice and ziplocs. The phone wouldn't turn back on after 2 1/2 days in rice so I took it to the Apple store. That sensor on the earplug was just barely pink and after explaining to the sales person what had happened, he exchanged the phone on warranty. He also recommended the LifeProof case, so as soon as I can get one, that's what I'm going with. Until then, no drinks in the drink holder and a ziploc anytime I think I might be around water.