waterproof messenger bag

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HBOC, Jan 8, 2009.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

I was so set on buying a timbuk 2 commuter messenger bag, but my plans have changed as my car was totaled and i am buying a Gary Fisher MTB to get around for the next 5 months or so....

So now i need to revise my needs of a bag. I looked at the Timbuk2 bags in person, but i wonder if it will handle a downpour ok? The bag needs to be big enough to handle 2 books, and some accessories, such as my iPhone, Mouse, powercords, etc...

My columbia backpack does very well in the rain. It is just too small for my needs, especially since i dont have a car anymore.

2. divebaum macrumors newbie

3. divebaum macrumors newbie

http://vimeo.com/2295763

...and that's a video of the guy giving you a tour of the bag, including its waterproofing. Looks pretty solid, with lots of cool details.

I've been looking at these pretty closely, so I'd love it if someone else could give real world impressions.

4. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Timbuk2's hold up well in heavy rain, but you have to make sure it's not overstuffed or the section between the flap cover and the sides of the bag could be exposed if you're not careful. For a bombproof bag, I reccomend chrome messengers. They're less fashionable but are amazingly everything-resistant.

5. Qinetic macrumors member

When I bought my Dell M1330 I got a Timbuk2 messenger bag with it. I never used it so I could sell it to you for about $75 if you want it.