Waterproof or resistant

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jsf721, Aug 24, 2015.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I have not been able to find out if the apple watch is water resistant or water proof?

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The :apple: Watch is water resistant. It apparently is more water resistant than :apple: claims, but it most definitely is only water resistant. Push it too far beyond its water resistant limits and you will damage it.

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

What is the context... In other words, what specific use do you have in mind that led to the question?

4. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

Not sure why you've been unable to find any info on the subject, but...

"...the Apple Watch is rated to the IPX7 waterproofing standard.

Under the IPX7 designation, the Apple Watch will be able to withstand immersion in water up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. This means that a session in the shower, getting caught in the rain, or washing your hands will not cause damage, but prolonged exposure — such as swimming — would be harmful.

Apple says that users 'can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing [their] hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended.' The water resistance rating applies equally to each model of the watch.

IPX7 is a common rating for small portable electronics that are designed for use outdoors, but are not considered rugged. Many handheld GPS units, for example, carry IPX7 ratings."

And of course, there will be people testing those recommended parameters, and there have been videos of people diving in them... I'd stick to the handwashing, rain, shower variety.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Define waterproof and water resistant. Rhetorical because there is no such thing as an unqualified waterproof device and any device can be called water resistant. These terms are bantered about and used incorrectly by the media and of course the general public.

The :apple:Watch is waterproof to the IPx7 standard and it is a very water resistant device.

6. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I agree with all comments above.

Will only add that there have been many antectodal stories about people taking their apple watch during prolonged swims with no issues. I am one of them. I've swam with my watch 3 or 4 times with continued water exposure up to around 45 minutes in length. I have had no issues with my watch, but your mileage may vary.

I have heard no stories of Apple watches being water damaged. I have heard no rumors of if Apple would replace a water damaged watch.

7. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Yeah.. I so want to buy Aluminium one just for swimming if Apple allow it (allow apps for swimming in the store).

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

At least one member replaced his water-damaged Watch under the standard warranty, presumably due to a manufacturing defect as it failed after a simple hand washing. There's bound to be such factory defects. In fact, reports of dead spots of black mass on the screen are indicative of likely water damage. We've also seen defective O-ring seal in the crown and the back of the Watch case coming apart, which would surely sustain water ingress if submerged.

But, yes, we haven't heard stories of non-defective Watches croaking after a swim, etc.

9. redman042 macrumors 68020

I do not choose to take my watch swimming (I don't have a strong desire to), but I did once by accident. Flipped a kayak. Long story... Anyway, both my watch and my wife's were fine after swimming back to shore.

However it's clear from the warning that swimming with it is not recommended, particularly since the rating is to only 1 meter which is not very deep.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Le's take it down to 40 meters and see what happens.:eek:

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They may merely be not recommending submerging it so they don't get a flurry of customers asking why the Watch's touchscreen doesn't work when wet.

12. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Mine has been the the pool three times on accident. Just forgot it was on. It still seems to be fine, so I don't ever bother being careful in the rain or washing my hands. When I first got it I kept it as far from water as I could like a crazy person.