Waterproof Solar iPhone Case - Aqua Tek S

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bobob, Feb 18, 2012.

1. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Here's a new KickStarter project for a waterproof, shockproof iPhone case that includes a supplementary battery and solar charger - - it's called the Aqua Tek S.

[​IMG]

Though unique, a potential buyer of this product would have to have very specific requirements. I can understand the potential need for a fully waterproof case - but who really needs a built-in solar charger? Who is going to leave their phone lying face down in the sun for the hours and hours that a tiny size solar panel like that would take to charge your battery?

2. daddyd302 macrumors member

daddyd302

3. itzikaiz macrumors newbie

Amazing!!!! Great idea

What an amazing idea!!! For people that love boating, scuba diving, fishing, now we have the freedom to take our phone with us. Thank you Aqua Tek.

:)

----------

The Iphone is BIG!!!
    It needs a big rough case to protect it. As a person that enjoys the beach, the water and always have to leave my phone in the car, I think this is a BIG IDEA, could not agree with you more!!!!!!!!!!

4. white4s macrumors 65816

hows the iphone big :rolleyes: it was the thinnest smartphone when it came out

5. JMies419 macrumors 6502

Should work well for fishermen on small boats without a power source to plug into, other than that I don't see a need for such a case.

6. Evelynds macrumors newbie

7. stcizzle macrumors regular

If the economy continues to worsen and gas prices soar to $35 a gallon and I am forced to sell my car and have to walk to work in the pouring rain and i have to fish in frozen ponds in the middle of winter to feed my wife and 5 kids and also my electricity bill skyrockets to $900 a month and I can't afford electricity anymore to charge my phone and I go down to only my fireplace and candles, I still wouldn't touch that f*c*i*g thing or even ever look at another picture of it.

Sorry for the long sarcastic comment but some of these things ppl come out with are just plain retarded. Any case that is more than 200% larger than the phone itself should not be considered a case. Perhaps these monstrosities should be called iPhone garages? This one could be a green solar garage.

I just almost threw up in my mouth (saw the pics again) gtg...

-looks exactly like that thing that the UPS guy gives you to sign for packages. Haha

8. alFR macrumors 68020

User has just joined? User has only 1 post, fervently extolling the virtues of a product? Smells like:

[​IMG]

to me...

9. bobob thread starter macrumors 68030

bobob

[​IMG]

The deep sea diver's Newtsuit would also look rather unwieldy to a person just heading out for a night on the town...

[​IMG]

A true waterproof case is a specialty bit of gear that will naturally only appeal to a small segment of the market with very specific needs.

10. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

Yea, ugly color and huge. Unwieldy. Reminds me of the OtterBox Defender I returned. I'll stick with my Lifeproof case which is water proof and only a little larger then the naked iPhone.

11. bobob thread starter macrumors 68030

bobob

Reviews for the Lifeproof have been less than stellar.

12. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

Actually I have read a lot of very positive reviews about it, and it holds up well to falls and spills in my personal experience. The reviews you link refer to an older version of they case. Case is over priced, but it is by far the best case I have first hand experience with, and much rather have it over that ugly orange monster pictured above. Thats just my opinion. :)

13. cbmstocks macrumors member

your'e allowed to have your own opinion. however, it is an incorrect one. the screen protector is horrible, and the gap between that and the screen ahs not shrank as lifeproof's claims. when using speakerphone, the mic does not work. siri use is spotty at best. it has everything to do with the lifeproof. this is a replacement to the first lifeproof i owned, and if i could i would just sell it. however, i can not do that in good conscience because of the appalling quality of every single one of these cases i've used. no dust is supposed to be able to penetrate the screen, however i've had to remove it twice to brush the dust out from in between the protector and glass screen. and ever since the first time i split the case open, the corners are furled

14. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Neat idea. Obviously this is for a very vertical use, but waterproof, ruggedized, plus a charger? Sounds like an awesome solution for our boat trips, surfing, fishing, mountain biking.

In many of those situations, power isn't available either (which was probably their thinking around the solar charger).

I wonder if it floats :)

15. oTypically macrumors member

For a second I thought this was a gameboy color. Lol

16. craftytony macrumors regular

craftytony

I think this is pretty cool, and I don't think it is targeting a specific customer base at all. I can think of a ton of uses personally that I think others would love it for. Camping, Hiking, At the pool/beach, Biking, White water rafting, Fishing, Concerts, etc.

I probably wouldn't keep it on all the time, just when participating in the above activities....