Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJess85

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2015
Adelaide, Australia
hello!
I am heading overseas shortly with my trusty iPhone X.

Has anyone had success using it in water- ie pools and beach? Without a proper waterproof case?

This an an expensive baby and I don’t want to ruin it... evvveeennn though it says it’s waterproof the thought of putting it in water scares me .

Thanks!

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Water resistant. Nowhere does it say waterproof. Not made to go swimming with. Do so at your own risk and don’t be mad when it fails and it’s on you to pay to get it fixed/replaced.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
You phone should be safe from rain, splashes and lavatory mishaps but it isn’t meant for constant submersion in water. You phone is only water resistant and Apple still doesn’t cover water damage despite the resistance raising.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Those who ask this question either have no intent to protect their devices from water or willfully place their devices in situations where the question is relevant - hence they ask.

Those who do not ask this question assume their devices are not water proof and do not put their devices in situations where it will be tested - hence they do not ask because there is no need to.

Which of these two come home with a water damaged device?

Last edited:
Reactions: woodynorman

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Don’t test it unless you can afford to throw $1000 in the trash. Keep expensive electronic devices away from water not worth the hassle if water resistance fails

Reactions: eyoungren

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
If your gonna be around water the whole time and think you might get it wet. Get a lifeproof fre to throw on it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Has anyone had success using it in water- ie pools and beach?

What you're going to find out with a water resistance rating, is that not all phones will have the same experience. Just because someone else shares their example of how it survive being submerged in water or in a pool, doesn't mean that your phone would have the same success rate. Personally, I would not chance it at all, even given it's water resistant rating.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
You phone should be safe from rain, splashes and lavatory mishaps but it isn’t meant for constant submersion in water. You phone is only water resistant and Apple still doesn’t cover water damage despite the resistance raising.
It isn’t fall damage resistant. So lavatory mishaps can damage the phone, with a multi-foot drop into a porcelain tank...

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
It isn’t fall damage resistant. So lavatory mishaps can damage the phone, with a multi-foot drop into a porcelain tank...

Where in the thread was @op asking about fall damage? My inclusion of “lavatory mishap” was meant as humor. Ever hear about the one about a friend who dropped a phone in a toilet? My comments were not meant to be misleading.

These are all common splash and water related mishaps the iPhone 8/X should be able to handle. And I stipulated it was no guarantee.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Where in the thread was @op asking about fall damage? My inclusion of “lavatory mishap” was meant as humor. Ever hear about the one about a friend who dropped a phone in a toilet? My comments were not meant to be misleading.

These are all common splash and water related mishaps the iPhone 8/X should be able to handle. And I stipulated it was no guarantee.
It wasn’t clear it was humor. If you frequent these forums, almost monthly a thread forms about someone who drops their phone in a toilet and is upset their phone doesn’t work despite water resistance. And debates begin about how dropping it into a bathtub or toilet almost guaranteed an impact on porcelain, which would break the water resistance seal.

But hey, hopefully this hasn’t happened to your friends.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
hello!
I am heading overseas shortly with my trusty iPhone X.

Has anyone had success using it in water- ie pools and beach? Without a proper waterproof case?

This an an expensive baby and I don’t want to ruin it... evvveeennn though it says it’s waterproof the thought of putting it in water scares me .

Thanks!

The iPhone X has an IP67 water resistance rating, meaning it can withstand immersion in water up to one meter (3.3 feet) for 30 minutes. This isn’t meant to inform you that it’s okay to swim with or use in a pool or in the water at the beach. Basically, if you were to drop the phone in a large puddle or the toilet and removed it from the water in 30 minutes or less, your phone would most likely survive. Personally with any electronic device, no matter what the water resistance rating is or even IF it’s supposed to be waterproof, I would do my best to keep it away from water. Water and electronics don’t play well together and is a disaster waiting to happen if you aren’t careful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.