Waterproof

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gosabres1984, Jun 30, 2010.

1. gosabres1984 macrumors regular

I am new around here and I did a forum search and did not find any discussions on this....

Apple loves to make headlines and major splashes with their products, does anyone actually think that Apple seriously might consider making a waterproof iPhone one day?

Some may say it would be unnecessary, but i could come in handy for the following reasons...

-Accidentally dropping in water (pool, toilet...ect.)
    -Filming video and snapping underwater shots in the pool with the kids.
    -Being able to have phone conversations in the pool, bath or ocean while not being in fear of dropping the iPhone in the water.

They already make waterproof cameras, camcorders, watches...ect. Why not a phone?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Not as long as there are manufacturers of waterproof cases. I used one from West Marine today while sailing. Since it is generic it allowed me to do anything except take photos with the back camera as the case is not clear there.

I was able to do anything else as the case allows you to work the screen through it.

3. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Good idea for some maybe, but I'd pass.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Nope. I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that they would never do that. I could see Nextel or somewhat building a phone like that but it's an iPhone. It's supposed to be high tech, not high durability.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

is this what people really want?

their has to be a line drawn and at some point we all need to just put our gadgets down and enjoy the moment.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. It doesn't fit in w/ Apple (Jobs) aesthetics. Take a look at the current batch of waterproof cameras. They are tough as nails but clunky as hell too. Steve likes 'em think and fragile.

7. goonie4life9 macrumors regular

What was the name/brand of the case?

Thanks!

8. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

My buddy knocked his beer directly on the front of my 3G, completely soaking it. I just wiped it off and never had a problem with it. It's pretty water resistant but we won't have waterproof gadgets until the speakers and ports can be sealed off or made of waterproof coated materials. I thought I remember a company that would waterproof anything.
    Here it is...Golden shellback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLFDT_I2Up4

I guess he's talking about a vapor deposition process to coat everything inside the device. Haven't heard about this in a while. Wonder if the govt. doesn't want us to have it yet?:eek: