watts minimum needed to charge MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nicolamoore, Aug 13, 2008.

1. nicolamoore macrumors newbie

Need to charge my MBP with solar. (Work in African country where power is very unreliable.) One person told 26 watt Brunton will work (with Mikegyver Power Travel Kit to connect the two), but another person said that 26 watts won't even allow the MagSafe to turn on and allow trickle charge. Does anyone know what the minimum wattage is that will turn MagSafe on?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

4. nicolamoore thread starter macrumors newbie

The Apple Juicz thingy looks lovely, but $1000?
    Isn't there some way to do it for less than that?

5. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

6. nicolamoore thread starter macrumors newbie

That DURACELL thingy looks great. And I like the price.
    Why would you still recommend a 40W panel?
    Wouldn't a trickle charge of 26W all day from the African sun be enough?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unless you're planning to use it during the night and charge it during the day no.

These panels are idea for low power computers like the Air which is not only portable, but also only requires a 45W adapter.

8. nicolamoore thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly what I expect to do: charge the MBP during the day and use it at night. (I work as a doctor during the day; only use the computer at night.)
    So....a trickle charge of 26W converted via an inverter to 120V would be OK, no?

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Might be tough. I would invest in something with higher capacity. You might have to consider that Apple Juicz @ 58W. Remember the computer normally needs 85W to charge it and it takes about 3 hours to charge; if you plan to have fresh batteries every night you need that 58W to charge it for like 8 hours assuming it runs at full capacity; don't forget during cloudy days or rain, you won't get 100% efficiency.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you working that doesn't have power?

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i wouldn't stray far from 85w... the 85w magsafe may not even supply enough power during high loads and will use the battery as a buffer. Obviously don't do anything stressing to use a lot of power.

11. nicolamoore thread starter macrumors newbie

In answer to question of where: Zimbabwe. Electrical power is very erratic in the countryside, where I work.
    Also, re: another comment: rain, clouds are essentially non-existent 10 months of the year, and the other two months, the sun is not visible for about 2 hours a day; otherwise, it's sunny all the time.
    I'm sort of stumped for what to do. I don't want to spend $1000 for the set up.
    Is the general consensus that a 26W panel won't do me any good at all?
    Or is it just not optimal?
    (I'll settle for not optimal. Much in Zimbabwe is not optimal.)

12. hitnrun7 Guest

Take this as a bump as im not exactly sure what wattage you would need, but good work man. Keep it up.

13. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

seeing that a Core 2 Duo mobile processor already consumes over 25w, I wouldn't be too hopeful. :eek:

edit: i just re-read the post and its about charging...hmm I wouldnt know. :eek:

http://www.quickertek.com/products/apple_juicz.php
    they sell solar panels for charging the macbook. The macbook (pro) one however is 55w. everything lower is only for the Air. Perhaps you should give them an email.

14. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

26W is just not optimal.

If you have some access to power, and just want to supplement, it should be fine.

I was able to get about 1.75 hours of moderate use on my Macbook (not pro) from 5 hours of sun on a 15 Watt panel.

http://www.patrickluckow.com/solar.html